Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tracing processes in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tracing processes in shell Post 302293987 by otheus on Wednesday 4th of March 2009 08:19:03 AM
Old 03-04-2009
strace -p 10101 2>output.strace

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

different shell programs,processes

Hi, why do we have 3 types of shell programs. I read that the k-shell is supposed to be the latest replacement of the Bourne shell with additional features. But why call it K-shell when one can call it as a different version of Bourne shell say bourne2. what do we have the C shell for? Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramyar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Spawing multiple display processes from one shell.

Question: Suppose I want to, from the terminal, use a shell script that would do the display image.jpg command to load multiple images from a directory all at the same time. One terminal, and for example 10 image files. Basically I want to execute 10 different commands simultaniously all from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeTheGuy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script creating too many processes.

I have a shell script that I am running every 60 seconds, but it is creating this process to the point that it is causing the server to perfrom poorly. Below is my script, what can I change to prevent this? while true do java -classpath .....( all my classes here) >/dev/null 2>&1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

4. Programming

Background processes in a dummy shell...

Hey guys, I am writing a very simple dummy shell in C++ and I am having trouble getting a process to run in the background. First of all, the shell has to recognize when I input a "&" at the end of the command, then it has to stick it in the background of the shell. I understand that if I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: icer
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Tracing a shell script!!!

Hi all, I would like to know how to trace a shell script.. I meant i used the set -x command and also tried, $ bash -xv <script name> but the problem is am a newbie and did not understand what those + and ++ meant at the beginning of each line...(once the execution of the script starts),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

turn on shell tracing of a makefile

hey, within a shell script file I know how to turn on tracing using "-x" #!/bin/bash -x now I have a complicated makefile which contains lots of `command`, and i would like to trace these `command`, where shall i put the option "-x"? thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patiobarbecue
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for getting pid of spawn processes from shell

Hi, I am new this forum. I request you peoples help in understanding and finding some solution to my problem. Here it goes: I need to perform this set of actions by writing a shell script. I need to read a config file for the bunch of processes to execute. I need to fecth the pid of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin4sachi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to kill all processes except shell window?

Hi i was referring to an article given in following website. Basic shell scripting questions | TechInterviews I was surprise to know that i can kill all running processes by using kill o. However when i tried running the command nothing happened. How would i establish this task? my machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script handling processes

Hello I have a file which has around 120 lines of commands. I am trying to write a shell script like which reads the 'command' file and executes line by line with some additional (common argument) with maximum 6 commands active at a time. Each of these commands when executed takes time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyShane_36
5 Replies
strace(1M)																strace(1M)

NAME
strace - write STREAMS event trace messages to standard output SYNOPSIS
mod sub pri DESCRIPTION
gets STREAMS event trace messages from STREAMS drivers and modules via the STREAMS log driver and writes these messages to standard output. By default, without arguments writes all STREAMS trace messages from all drivers and modules. with command-line arguments limits the trace messages received. The arguments, which must be specified in groups of three, are: mod Specifies the STREAMS module identification number from the streamtab entry. sub Specifies a subidentification number (often corresponding to a minor device). pri Specifies a tracing priority level. gets messages of a level equal to or less than the value specified by pri. Only posi- tive integer values are allowed. The value can be used for any argument in the command line to indicate that there are no restrictions for that argument. Multiple sets of the three arguments can be specified to obtain the messages from more than one driver or module. Only one process can open the STREAMS log driver at a time. When is invoked, the log driver compares the sets of command line arguments with actual trace messages, returning only messages that sat- isfy the specified criteria. STREAMS event trace messages have the following format: seq time tick pri ind mod sub text Components are interpreted as follows: seq Trace event sequence number. time Time the message was sent expressed in hh:mm:ss. tick Time the message was sent expressed in machine ticks since the last boot. pri Tracing priority level as defined by the STREAMS driver or module that originates the messages. ind Can be any combination of the following three message indicators: The message has also been saved in the error log. The message signaled a fatal error. The message has also been mailed to the system administrator. mod Module identification number of the trace message source. sub Subidentification number of the trace message source. text Trace message text. runs until terminated by the user. EXAMPLES
Display all trace messages received from the driver or module identified by mod Display trace messages of any tracing priority level from the driver or module identified by mod and its minor devices identified by the sub or Display the trace messages from the same driver or module and subs but limit the priority levels to 0 for subs 2 and 3; 1 for sub 4, driver or module WARNINGS
Running with several sets of arguments can impair STREAMS performance, particularly for those modules and drivers that are sending the mes- sages. Also be aware that may not be able to handle a large number of messages. If drivers and modules return messages to too quickly, some may be lost. FILES
NLS catalog for SEE ALSO
strclean(1M), strerr(1M), strlog(7). strace(1M)