Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: overwritten rootdisk?
Operating Systems Solaris overwritten rootdisk? Post 302293600 by gwhelan on Tuesday 3rd of March 2009 12:10:48 PM
Old 03-03-2009
Power

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. The system did not come back up after the savcore was run and the system rebooted. The /var/file system was corrupted which I then had to create a new file system for and replace the data from tape.

I would rather not have the dump device as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 though for obvious reasons. To do a savecore I would need to specify something that isn't in swap as savecore will dump this as well. Can I specify a directory for the dump device? Something like /dump? Please let me know. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.cshrc and .login overwritten !!

Hi, My account is : abcd I belong to a group: pqrs Some thing straneg happened yesterday. My .cshrc and .login got overwritten into pqrs's .cshrc and .login I obviously did not explicitly overwrite pqrs's .cshrc. Are there any reasons how this could have happened indirectly due to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjthomas
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grub Loader entry overwritten

Hello, One of my frend had a problem. He had Windows XP installed on his system. Then he installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 in one of the partitions. After some time his XP got corrupt and then he reinstalled Windows XP. This over wrote the Grub loader entry, and due to this the grub loader is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. AIX

UIDs being overwritten immediately

We have a problem where we delete a user and their associated UID gets dumped back in the UID pool. The if we immediately create a another (new) user, AIX reuses the last UID, the one that was just released. This is causing a problem when reports are being generated because the new users name is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsys2000
2 Replies

4. SCO

Overwritten /dev/root -recovery of SCO OpenServer 5.0.4

Due to my own stupidity I managed to overwrite my /dev/root device using dd (don't ask). Current state is - Have current backup created using cpio (command used was 'find . -mount -depth -print|cpio -ocB > $TAPE') - Once I realised what was happening powered off the server but this was too... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ok2
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Critical files in /etc overwritten EMPTY!

The following files were wiped out - new empty files were left in their place. /etc/inittab, /etc/inetd.conf, and /etc/MANPATH The system is running HP-UX 11i v3 - Mar08. Anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas on a way to figure this out if it happens again or a suggested way to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KEnglander
9 Replies

6. Programming

variables overwritten

Hi, i have some problems with the following code: char *tab_path; char *sep=" \t\n"; char line; char *p; FILE * file; int i = 0; if(fgets(line,MAXLINE,file)!=NULL){ if((p=strtok(line,sep))!=NULL)tab_path=p; while((p=strtok(NULL,sep))!=NULL){ i++; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file is getting overwritten

Hello All, I am writing a bash script on Solaris O/S. I looping through an array. For each iteration, i connect to the datatabase and use select statement. Output of which is redirected to .CSV file. here is the code for it. output="loop.csv" elements=${#currency_pair} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arundhati_s
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with mirroring rootdisk under veritas and boot from the mirror

Hi All, We are using Solaris 10 x86, and Veritas Storage Foundation Software version 6.0.1 and faced the following issues after mirroring and during boot from mirror. 1) VTOC has been changed after mirroring the rootdisk with this command - " /opt/VRTS/bin/vxrootmir <disk to be mirrored>".... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprasamsa
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve the value of a variable from being overwritten?

Hi All, I am new new to unix.com, I have a question related to shell scripting. We have a Oracle database backup shell script, which can be used for taking full, incremental & archive log backup based on the parameters passed. Within the script we export a variable as export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ssh2 key has been overwritten, need a way to restore

I had generated a ssh2 key on my AIX box, to receive files from other AIX and Linux systems. Key Name: id_ssh2_server.pub However this ssh2 key (both public and private keys) has been overwritten, while I was generating another ssh2 key. Now the earlier configured target systems are not able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)