Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file Post 302292487 by Franklin52 on Saturday 28th of February 2009 05:48:10 AM
Old 02-28-2009
Is the fieldseparator a "^" sign? Better is to post your input file and the desired output.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns in tab delimited file

I want to read only one column in "|" delimited file and write that column to a new file. For Ex: Input File 1|abc|324|tt 2|efd|11|cbcb 3||1|fg 4|ert|23|88 Output : I want to read column 3 in diff file. 324 11 1 88 Can anyone give me inputs on this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: net
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nth Columns in a Tab delimited file

Hi Can anyone help me to identify the nth field from a Tab delimited file? Thanks Subrat (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a tab delimited text file?

I have a tab limited text file with 10000+ columns. I want to delete columns 6 through 23, how do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add a header to a tab delimited .txt file?

Hi, I have a tab delimited document with 18 columns. My file looks like: comp1000201_c0_seq1 comp1000201_c0 337 183.51 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 ---NA--- 337 0 0 - comp1000297_c0_seq1 comp1000297_c0 612 458.50 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alisrpp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert empty columns inside a pipe delimited file

Hi All , I have pipe delimiter file with 11 columns . I need to insert 4 empty columns after column 10 . and After 11 column I need to insert a column which is having the same value for all the rows . My file 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11 New file ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. Column exits 0 on success, >0 if an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. AVAILABILITY
The column command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD