Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in string comparison in shell programming Post 302291662 by salman4u on Thursday 26th of February 2009 05:06:10 AM
Old 02-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson

In bash, you can compare alphabetically, but it is not standard. You need to escape the angle bracket:

Code:
if [ p \> q ]

cfajohnson Smilie You're the man. Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Unix Programming Book Comparison

Hi, I am starting out to program on Unix, having had experience in C and C++ in DOS. I would like to know, of these three, which is the best book for learning C programming in Unix: Advanced Unix Programming by Marc Rochkind Advanced Unix Programming by Warren Gay Advanced Programming in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: theicarusagenda
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarnath
3 Replies

3. AIX

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amarnath
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script string comparison

I want to remove a line that has empty string at second field when I use cut with delimeter , like below $cat demo hello, mum hello, #!/bin/sh while read line do if then # remove the current line command goes here fi done < "demo" i got an error message for above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
4 Replies

5. Solaris

String Comparison in Shell script

I Have a script which gets the status of oracle database and if the status is READ WRITE ..it should echo "db is up " else "db is down" Here is the code if then echo "db up" else echo "db down" fi done; The script is giving me out put "db down" even thoug the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison problem

Hi, can someone please help me!!! urgent! I have a strange issue here. I grep for 2 strings from a txt files and compare the string value. Though the string values are the same, they are compared as different values. Please help Case-1 -------- Here I grep for 2 different field values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vani123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in string comparison

guys , i am using inotify for monitoring one directory to check core file generation , my snippet of code is follows #!/bin/bash DIR=$1 inotifywait -q -e create -m $DIR | while read path events name; do if ]; then echo "Now I am going to do something with $name in directory $path."... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baker
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux