Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Re-arranging lines of text... help? Post 302291545 by aerostar700 on Thursday 26th of February 2009 01:49:58 AM
Old 02-26-2009
Well, basicaly you have 2 ways to do that. If it's just a matter of editing one file once in a while, I'd use vi for that. If you want to do that on a regular basis, a shell script would be better suited.

vi method :

vi pool.txt
(position cursor on the 1st line)
type : 5dd (the first 5 lines will disappear, don't panic)
type : Shift-G (cursor will jump to the last line)
type : p (5 lines will magically reappear at the end of text)
type : 5 and (Up Arrow) (cursor will jump up 5 lines)
type : 5dd (those 5 lines will vanish)
type : :0 (the colon sign and the number 0), that will position you at the top of the file
type : Shift-P (5 lines reappear on top of the file)
type : :w pool2.txt (colon sign and the letter w + name of the new file)
type : :q! (colon sign, the letter q and exclamation mark) to quit without saving the changes to the original file

This seems rather obnoxious, but in fact, it take just about 3 seconds to actually do that Smilie

Actually, nobody would want to write a script to do that, vi is quick enough. But if you really want to do it without using vi then :

$ tail -5 pool.txt > pool2.txt ; sed -n '6,15p' pool.txt >>pool2.txt ; head -5 pool.txt >>pool2.txt

... will do the trick nicely Smilie

Last edited by aerostar700; 02-26-2009 at 02:58 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

re-arranging text in a file with AWK

Hi Gurus, I have a text file that I want to process with the following structure; 4528788 Blah - Something 9341423 Text - Somethinghere 98792223,5546761 Some - More - Text 5119503,5159504,1234567 Text - More - Text 13459695 Stuff - Text Again 13526583 Junk - More Text Here 13595177... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: th3g0bl1n
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete first 5 lines and last five lines in all text files

Hi I want to delete first five and last five lines in text files without opening the file and also i want to keep the same file name for all the files. Thanks in advance!!! Ragav (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavendran31
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two lines after grep for a text string

I have several very large file that are extracts from Oracle tables. These files are formatted in XML type syntax with multiple entries like: <ROW> some information more information </ROW> I want to grep for some words, then print all lines between <ROW> AND </ROW>. Can this be done with AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbruce
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed show lines text between 2 blank lines

I have a file like blah blah blah blah this is the text I need, which might be between 1-4 lines, but always has a blank line above and below it, and is at the end of the text file the code tags don't show the trailing blank line. I started by deleting the last blank line with: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in arranging the output

Hello All, Please find attached input and output files. I want to write a shell script to achieve this. I tried using awk but not getting how to do this as I am new to shell programming. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudeep Bhattad
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read n lines from a text files getting n from within the text file

I dont even have a sample script cause I dont know where to start from. My data lookes like this > sat#16 #data: 15 site:UNZA baseline: 205.9151 0.008 -165.2465 35.8109 40.6685 21.9148 121.1446 26.4629 -18.4976 33.8722 0.017 -165.2243 48.2201 40.6908 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help arranging text

By using this code how can we get the stars in inverted positions? str="*" for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do echo "$str" str="$str *" done The output should be like this * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)