Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ? Post 302290610 by Browser_ice on Monday 23rd of February 2009 06:09:39 PM
Old 02-23-2009
Data savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ?

Every 3 months we have to do backups (smitth mksysb/lsmksysb + tar) on at least 30 workstations. We have to carry around 2 external tape drives to connect to them. It is a pain to do because it takes at least 3 days to do (evening/night shift) and users sometimes complain that there desk is not put back to the same exact same way they were (some have so much junk that it is impossible to do it without moving anything).

So is there a way to remotly connect to a server but do the mksysb/tar on a remote tape drive ?

I mean :
login to Server-A
rlogin to workstation-A
do the mksysb/tar of workstation-A on drive of Server-A

If this was possible, we could do 10 backups at the same time, not have to carry those external drives around and not mess with anybody's desk.

This would be great if we could do it.

Is it possible on an AIX 4.2 and how ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting remote tape drive

Hi, Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if it is possible to mount (and use) a remote tape drive on a AIX server, and if so, what are the precise configuration steps needed? The tape drive to be mounted as a remote tape drive is present on another AIX server in the same network. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
0 Replies

2. Solaris

tar on remote tape drive

hello guys, am trying to save a file file1 to a remote tape drive using tar and i get a permission denied error as shown below: server1%tar cvf - file1 | rsh server2 dd of=/dev/rmt/1m conv=sync a file1 1883905K permission denied since server2 requires login username and password, i see in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nom
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mksysb and Savevg woes

hi, i'm having a little trouble with an AIX 5.2 script that i have written and i was wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice on how to append a savevg backup to a mksysb tape, or more importantly where i'm going wrong? i've been trying to get this to work on and off for about a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredazfcuk
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mksysb and Savevg woes

hi, i'm having a little trouble with an AIX 5.2 script that i have written and i was wondering if anyone could please offer me some advice on how to append a savevg backup to a mksysb tape, or more importantly where i'm going wrong? i've been trying to get this to work for about a month with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boredazfcuk
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

6. AIX

How to mksysb to a tape drive connected to a different LPAR?

I have 2 LPARs running AIX 5.3. Both are on the same VLAN. One LPAR, which I'll call LPAR2, has a 4mm SCSI tape drive connected to it, while LPAR1 does not have a tape drive connected. I am able to take mksysb backups of LPAR2 to the tape drive since it's directly connected. However, I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
2 Replies

7. AIX

savevg - mksysb

Hello, I use commands savevg & mksysb to do backups on an AIX server. Frequently, I have a return code 3. I would know why, but after searches, I did'nt find. If somebody know ... Tell me. Thanks. emetra (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emetra
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to tape drive command

I want to use this command to tar to tape: tar cf - DIR | compress > `hostname`_`date +%m-%d-%y`.DIR.tar.Z this of course goes to the FS. How do I modify this to go directly to tape? My tape device is /dev/rmt/0 thanks. Having so many posts you should be familiar using code tags.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Backup to remote tape drive

Hello all, I'm trying to backup some files on a solaris 10 machine to the remote tape drive connected to another solaris 10 machine. I have set up rsh to allow for password-less connection between the servers, but I'm not able to write to the tape with the command: root@sdp4a>tar cvf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a remote tape drive.

Hello everyone. I googled a little bit, and the best anwers i had were found in this forum. But , unfortunately, they couldn't give me a solution. So i decided to ask the question completely. I have two servers: One RHEL 5 , x64 , with a SCSI DAT72 Tape Drive. Another (the new one), with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pablobhz
0 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)