Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to calculate netwrk from IP address and netmask using Bitwise AND in shell script Post 302289786 by chaitanyapn on Friday 20th of February 2009 12:09:13 PM
Old 02-20-2009
how to calculate netwrk from IP address and netmask using Bitwise AND in shell script

Hi,

I am having two variables
IP="10.150.12.1"
netmask="255.255.255.0"

To get network number, I know that a bitwise & will help.
networkno=IP & netmask

My code is
#!/usr/bin/ksh
ip="10.150.12.1"
netmask="255.255.255.0"
networkno="$ip" & "$netmask"
echo $networkno

I am getting the following error
./try.sh[5]: 255.255.255.0: not found.

What's the mistake in the code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for netmask check

I want develop a script which should also check validity of netmask. e.g. /etc/netmasks 10.15.20.30 255.255.255.224 How can I check which IP adresses are valid for this netmask? I think the best is use logical operations. 224 is 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 so is valid from 10.15.20.31... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhacodactylus
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script calculate the hits ?!

could you please find a solution for this a complex command using pipes to Calculate the number of hits per client in Squid log file (access.log), the command should display most active hosts first. Line example 1197979501.787 1 10.1.14.62 TCP_NEGATIVE_HIT/404 1463 GET http://url The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anything
0 Replies

3. Solaris

ifconfig - making netmask & broadcast address permanent?

hi, I am trying to configure one of my interfaces, but after reboot - i lose the changes to the netmask & broadcast address. I have added an entry in /etc/netmasks, but it doesnt pick up the new settings. any ideas - much appreciated. before reboot: eri0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Date from shell script

I have a txt file which now has the following output Sat Mar 6 04:00:01 Sat Mar 6 04:02:09 processing 585 Sat Mar 6 17:00:01 Sat Mar 6 17:00:58 processing 109 Sun Mar 7 04:00:01 Sun Mar 7 04:00:51 processing 309 Sun Mar 7 17:00:01 Sun Mar 7 17:00:41 processing 48 I want output as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to calculate the size of files

Dear all, Please help me to write a script that can calculate the size of files. For example: I have a directory which contain thousands of files. I need to know the size of files that their name begin with abc_123 Thank all!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script shell, how to calculate percentage?

hello, please can you help me. jj and kk are two numbers which are the result of an sql program. I would like to calculate the ratio jj/kk*100. I have done this: ratio=$((jj/kk * 100)) or ratio=`expr $jj \/ expr $kk) but the result is 0 What can i do? Thanks for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: likeaix
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to calculate difference between 2 dates

shell script to calculate difference between 2 dates (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gredpurushottam
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to calculate the max cpu usage from the main script

Hi All, I have a script which does report the cpu usuage, there are few output parameter/fields displayed from the script. My problem is I have monitor the output and decide which cpu number (column 2) has maximum value (column 6). Since the output is displayed/updated every seconds, it's very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script shell calculate mean arrival request duration

hello, I have implemented this command : tshark -eth0 -T fiels -e frame.time et sip.Request-Line -z sip,stat > test2.txt the result of this command : test.txt: Aug 27, 2013 23:06:47.334270000 INVITE Aug 27, 2013 23:06:47.335045000 SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized Aug 27, 2013... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amouna
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash cript to calculate summarize address

Hi, I need to write a bash script that when i enter two ip address, it will calculate summerize address for them. Examlpe: 192.168.1.27/25 192.168.1.129/25 Result will be: 192.168.1.0/24 can you help me with this script? I even dont know how to start with it (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miron
3 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD