Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Query about creating sysfs directory under device driver Post 302288857 by cbalu on Wednesday 18th of February 2009 07:08:55 AM
Old 02-18-2009
CPU & Memory Query about creating sysfs directory under device driver

Hi all,

Currently i am involved in developing a device driver for a custom hardware.

My linux stack already has the sysfs directory structure

/sys/class/hwmon/

My need is that, while loading my device driver i need to create a "xyz" sysfs directory inside hwmon sysfs directory as shown below

/sys/class/hwmon/xyz/

I came across a function called class_create_file call using which we can able to create a sysfs file. But, I don't know about a way to create sysfs directory. Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

2. Programming

Network device driver

HI, I am writing a network device driver for RTL8139c card on 2.6.18 kernel ... I am facing few queries listed below 1. Can i able to at all write a driver for RTL8139C or Realtek had designed new chip for 2.6 series kernel? 2. If no then which driver file 2.6.18 uses .. Is it 8139too.c or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niketan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help regarding device driver

Hi All, I have a device driver that uses UARTserial port to write/read to-from a device. That device driver is working fine on FC3 machine( kernel version 2.6.12)... Now I am switching to FC9 (kernel version 2.6.25.11-97).I have changed the interrupt flag SA_INTERRUPT to IRQF_DISABLED... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajuprade
0 Replies

4. Programming

regarding device driver

Hi All, I have a device driver that uses UARTserial port to write/read to-from a device. That device driver is working fine on FC3 machine( kernel version 2.6.12)... Now I am switching to FC9 (kernel version 2.6.25.11-97).I have changed the interrupt flag SA_INTERRUPT to IRQF_DISABLED... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajuprade
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Device driver programming

I want to work one day as a device driver programmer, OS I'm in love is Solaris :D I am learning C in my free time which I don't have because college took my life and I need to study to pass. In college we work in C++ / Java. These languages aren't inteded for device driver programming , saying... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies
SG_MAP26(8)							     SG3_UTILS							       SG_MAP26(8)

NAME
sg_map26 - maps a special file to a SCSI generic (sg) device (or vice versa) SYNOPSIS
sg_map26 [--dev_dir=DIR] [--given_is=0|1] [--help] [--result=0|1|2|3] [--symlink] [--verbose] [--version] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
Maps a special file (block or char) associated with a SCSI device to the corresponding SCSI generic (sg) device, or vice versa. Can also be given a sysfs file, for example '/sys/block/sda' or '/sys/block/sda/dev'. Rather than map to or from a sg device, the sysfs file name matching a given device special file (or vice versa) can be requested. This is done with '--result=2' and '--result=3'. This feature works on ATA devices (e.g. 'dev/hdc') as well as SCSI devices. In this utility, "mapped" refers to finding the relationship between a SCSI generic (sg) node and the higher level SCSI device name; or vice versa. For example '/dev/sg0' may "map" to '/dev/sda'. Mappings may not exist, if a relevant module is not loaded, for example. Also there are SCSI devices that can only be accessed via a sg node (e.g. SAF-TE and some SES devices). In this utility, "matching" refers to different representations of the same device accessed via the same driver. For example, '/dev/hdc' and '/sys/block/hdc' usually refer to the same device and thus would be considered matching. A related example is that '/dev/cdrom' and '/dev/hdc' are also considered matching if '/dev/cdrom' is a symlink to '/dev/hdc'. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -d, --dev_dir=DIR where DIR is the directory to search for resultant device special files in (or symlinks to same). Only active when '--result=0' (the default) or '--result=2'. If this option is not given and DEVICE is a device special file then the directory part of DEVICE is assumed. If this option is not given and DEVICE is a sysfs name, then if necessary '/dev' is assumed as the directory. -g, --given_is=0 | 1 specifies the DEVICE is either a device special file (when the argument is 0), or a sysfs 'dev' file (when the argument is 1). The parent directory of a sysfs 'dev' file is also accepted (e.g. either '/sys/block/sda/dev' or '/sys/block/sda' are accepted). Usu- ally there is no need to give this option since this utility first checks for special files (or symlinks to special files) and if not, assumes it has been given a sysfs 'dev' file (or its parent). Generates an error if given and disagrees with variety of DEVICE. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -r, --result=0 | 1 | 2 | 3 specifies what variety of file (or files) that this utility tries to find. The default is a "mapped" device special file, when the argument is 0. When the argument is 1, this utility tries to find the "mapped" sysfs node name. When the argument is 2, this util- ity tries to find the "matching" device special file. When the argument is 3, this utility tries to find the "matching" sysfs node name. -s, --symlink when a device special file is being sought (i.e. when '--result=0' (the default) or '--result=2') then also look for symlinks to that device special file in the same directory. -v, --verbose increase the level of verbosity, (i.e. debug output). -V, --version print the version string and then exit. NOTES
This utility is designed for the linux 2.6 kernel series. It uses special file major and minor numbers (and whether the special is block or character) together with sysfs to do its mapping or matching. In the absence of any other information, device special files are assumed to be in the '/dev' directory while sysfs is assumed to be mounted at '/sys'. Device names in sysfs are predictable, given the corresponding major and minor number of the device. However, due to udev rules, the name of device special files can be anything the user desires (e.g. '/dev/sda' could be named '/dev/my_boot_disk'). When trying to find a resultant device special file, this utility uses the major and minor numbers (and whether a block or char device is sought) to search the device directory. This utility only shows one relationship at a time. To get an overview of all SCSI devices, with special file names and optionally the "mapped" sg device name, see the lsscsi utility. EXAMPLES
Assume sg2 maps to sdb while dvd, cdrom and hdc are all matching. # sg_map26 /dev/sg2 /dev/sdb # sg_map26 /dev/sdb /dev/sg2 # sg_map26 --result=0 /dev/sdb /dev/sg2 # sg_map26 --result=3 /dev/sdb /sys/block/sda # sg_map26 --result=1 /dev/sdb /sys/class/scsi_generic/sg0 Now look at '/dev/hdc' and friends # sg_map26 /dev/hdc <error: a hd device does not map to a sg device> # sg_map26 --result=3 /dev/hdc /sys/block/hdc # sg_map26 --result=2 /dev/hdc /dev/hdc # sg_map26 --result=2 --symlink /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd /dev/hdc # sg_map26 --result=2 --symlink /sys/block/hdc /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd /dev/hdc EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_map26 is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
udev(8), udevinfo(8), lsscsi(lsscsi) sg3_utils-1.23 January 2007 SG_MAP26(8)