Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script - How to automatically start another process when the previous process ends? Post 302288836 by pludi on Wednesday 18th of February 2009 05:38:30 AM
Old 02-18-2009
Write one script to parse them sequentially, and put them into the background using
Code:
$ nohup script &

Note that this way, your script won't be able to receive any user input, and all output goes to nohup.out. Detail can be found in the man page.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process runing automatically

Hi, I need some help, because I'm trying to create a process runing all the time (not invoqued by a crontab), like a daemon, to detect the creation of a new file in a specific directory and axecute a process wich do something with this new file. Can you help me? For your information my Unix is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsquillacioti
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help to write script to check the process health and automatically restart it

I am working on a project, which need to constantly watch the process, and check its status, if it was dead, it should be restart automatically. Please kindly refer me to URL which teach how to write this kind of script, or service. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragondad
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK] process field which ends with .dat

This is my first day with awk scripting..Please pardon my ignorance, if any.. I am trying to remove all files ending with .dat ls -1R xyz/ | awk '$1==*.dat{print "rm " $1}' | bash ls -1R --> will list files/directories one per line, even the sub directories I try to match first field of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hohenheim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh Script to get the start minute of n number of process

How can i write a script.? which lists all X process and gets the start minute of each of them. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anteus
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris+Perl script to get process start date

Hi all, after reading the post: * https://www.unix.com/solaris/101653-how-get-process-start-date-time-solaris.html I wrote my perl script and it worked like a charm. This script is called every 5 minutes by the monitoring server crontab and is executed on the remote network elements via ssh (the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Start a service manager process automatically on startup

Hello, I am in the process of learning Linux OS. How do I run the below lines of code automatically as root on server startup. cd /opt/program_folder/ServiceManager/bin nohup ./servce_manager DEV & Currently, as soon as the server is up and running I log in as root (as this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to start process

Hi I want to create a script to be able to check if a process is running and act on it. Essentially I want to: Check acc process status /opt/ca/APMCommandCenterController./apmccctrl.sh status If process found not to be running Execute start command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
6 Replies
NOHUP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)