Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to sort strings by length? Post 302288739 by rockbike on Tuesday 17th of February 2009 11:52:33 PM
Old 02-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin
Yes, ... it'll print out the number of all of the characters in the word.
ye... i guess i didnt ask my question clearly...
lets say... what if the line to be printed contains two or more words
what will length() do? my guess is the total number of characters of that line?
or in this case length() will not work properly?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort on fixed length files

Hi How to sort a fixed length file on a given char range and just display the duplicates. I did search for man sort to find any option but could find any.,something similar to cut -c 1-5,25-35. I have alternate way of doing this by using combination of cut,awk. but this creates extra temp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sach_in
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove strings of lowercase characters (with minimum length requirement)

Hi all, I want to delete all lowercase characters from my file, but only strings of length 7 and more. For example, how can I go from: JHGEFigeIGDUIirfyfiyhgfoiyfKJHGuioyrDHG To: JHGEFigeIGDUIKJHGuioyrDHG There should be a trick to add to sed 's///g', but I can't figure it out.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbuzzo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a sort solution for fixed length file

I have a 1250 byte record that I need to sort in column 10-19 and in column 301. I have tried the sort command, but it looks like it needs delimiters to work. The record can have spaces in a lot of its 1250 columns, but 10-19, and 301 are guaranteed. These columns are numeric too. A sample... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mb1201
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split strings based on length

Hi All I am very much in need of help splitting strings based on length in Perl. e.g., Input text is : International NOUN Corp. NOUN 's POS Tulsa NOUN Output I want is : International I In Int Inte l al nal onal NOUN Corp. C Co Cor Corp . p. rp. orp. NOUN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace strings based on position and length?

Suppose i have a file which contains thousands of records. e.g adjgmptjadmwpgjmwmd i need to replace the string from 3rd to 8th position using awk script in entire file. And also the positions will be passed as parameter. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix sort for fixed length columns and records

I was trying to use the AIX 6.1 sort command to sort fixed-length data records, sorting by specific columns only. It took some time to figure out how to get it to work, so I wanted to share the solution. The sort man page wasn't much help, because it talks about field delimeters (default space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CheeseHead1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file specifying record length

I've been searching high and low for this...but, maybe I'm just missing something. I have a file to be sorted that, unfortunately, contains binary data at the end of the line. As you may guess, this binary data may contain a newline character, which messes up the sort. I think I could resolve this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcagle
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a hash based on the string length of the values

Hi, I want to be able to sort/print a hash based on the string length of the values. For example %hash = ( key1 => 'jeri', key2 => 'corona', key3 => 'una, ); I want to be able to print in the following order (smallest to largest) una,jeri,corona OR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdilts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort when there is variable length decimal points.?

Hi Experts, Quick quesion: I want to sort this in the file , but not working, when using # sort file name 305.932 456.470 456.469 456.468 456.467 172.089 456.467 456.466 456.465 111.573 111.578 111.572 111.572 87.175 87.174 75.898 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Array length: ls and sort

Hi there, I'm listing files and sorting them. When I try to get length of array variable in which these files are stored I get 1 as value. That's weird. files_info="$(find $input_dir -name "*_CHR$i.info" | sort )" printf ${#files_info}"\n" #print length #--loop through... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
6 Replies
WC(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             WC(1)

NAME
wc - print newline, word, and byte counts for each file SYNOPSIS
wc [OPTION]... [FILE]... wc [OPTION]... --files0-from=F DESCRIPTION
Print newline, word, and byte counts for each FILE, and a total line if more than one FILE is specified. A word is a non-zero-length sequence of characters delimited by white space. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. The options below may be used to select which counts are printed, always in the following order: newline, word, character, byte, maximum line length. -c, --bytes print the byte counts -m, --chars print the character counts -l, --lines print the newline counts --files0-from=F read input from the files specified by NUL-terminated names in file F; If F is - then read names from standard input -L, --max-line-length print the maximum display width -w, --words print the word counts --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report wc translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/wc> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) wc invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 WC(1)