Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302286868 by Neo on Thursday 12th of February 2009 07:00:12 AM
Old 02-12-2009
Here is a bit of follow-up:

Let's take MAMP for example. Here is a quote directly from the MAMP users guide:
Quote:
1.1.2**Installation process

Download the MAMP PRO disc image from MAMP: Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP. Open the image and drag MAMP PRO into your Applications folder.
Note:**You need administrator permissions to install MAMP PRO!
If MAMP has not been installed yet, please download and install it. The MAMP, too, has to be installed in your Applications folder!
As you can see, there is no direction for installing via the command line. The installation is a GUI drag-and-drop.

Please correct me if I am am wrong. Why does the MAMP install guides only discuss a GUI drag-and-drop installation?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
MAC_PREPARE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    MAC_PREPARE(3)

NAME
mac_prepare, mac_prepare_type, mac_prepare_file_label, mac_prepare_ifnet_label, mac_prepare_process_label -- allocate appropriate storage for mac_t SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mac.h> int mac_prepare(mac_t *mac, const char *elements); int mac_prepare_type(mac_t *mac, const char *name); int mac_prepare_file_label(mac_t *mac); int mac_prepare_ifnet_label(mac_t *mac); int mac_prepare_process_label(mac_t *mac); DESCRIPTION
The mac_prepare family of functions allocates the appropriate amount of storage and initializes *mac for use by mac_get(3). When the result- ing label is passed into the mac_get(3) functions, the kernel will attempt to fill in the label elements specified when the label was pre- pared. Elements are specified in a nul-terminated string, using commas to delimit fields. Element names may be prefixed with the '?' char- acter to indicate that a failure by the kernel to retrieve that element should not be considered fatal. The mac_prepare() function accepts a list of policy names as a parameter, and allocates the storage to fit those label elements accordingly. The remaining functions in the family make use of system defaults defined in mac.conf(5) instead of an explicit elements argument, deriving the default from the specified object type. mac_prepare_type() allocates the storage to fit an object label of the type specified by the name argument. The mac_prepare_file_label(), mac_prepare_ifnet_label(), and mac_prepare_process_label() functions are equivalent to invocations of mac_prepare_type() with arguments of "file", "ifnet", and "process" respectively. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. SEE ALSO
mac(3), mac_free(3), mac_get(3), mac_is_present(3), mac_set(3), mac(4), mac.conf(5), maclabel(7) STANDARDS
POSIX.1e is described in IEEE POSIX.1e draft 17. Discussion of the draft continues on the cross-platform POSIX.1e implementation mailing list. To join this list, see the FreeBSD POSIX.1e implementation page for more information. HISTORY
Support for Mandatory Access Control was introduced in FreeBSD 5.0 as part of the TrustedBSD Project. Support for generic object types first appeared in FreeBSD 5.2. BSD
August 22, 2003 BSD