Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab or looping script to Kill process from user Post 302286034 by sunpraveen on Tuesday 10th of February 2009 07:09:35 AM
Old 02-10-2009
Meert,

All Oracle process ids are owned by the oracle software owner (like oracle).

Sounds like you do not have access to oracle user, yet you want to kill processes owned by that user, which can only be done a super user like root.

Usually, killing the session in oracle should clean the unix processes too.

As sys, run the below:

Code:
SQL> alter system kill session 'sid,serial#';

If there is some limitation which prevents you from running the above, then we can think of something. Smilie

HTH,

Regards,

Praveen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill a process initiated by crontab

Hi, I scheduled one script through crontab command and seems like it is hanging. I come to know this through the command 'ps -ef' whcih is showing me the program running, but no chances of it to take more than 2hrs to comlpete. I want to kill that process. I tried to kill it using the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill a process initiated by other user at the same group

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow a group members to be able to kill (using kill command) processes created by other user at the same group? and i need the change to be at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to kill all the netscape process of a particular user?

how to kill all the "netsacpe" processes of a particular user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill Process not owned by other user

Hi Here is my problem: 1)I am login to unix server through my login id and do SU - xxx 2) Start the script which is running in background I want that other user which login to there id and do SU - yyy(Different user) kill that script. Could you please help me in this. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill process owned by another user

How can I kill a process owned by user1? I will be using another user (user2) (not root) and we are on the same primary and secondary group. I copied everything including it's .profile and set the path accordingly. user1@hostnmae0:/home/user1 $ pkill java pkill: Failed to signal pid 1234:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill Duplicated Process by shell in crontab

Hi! I need your help, please. I'm in AIX node and sometimes listener process from an oracle instance gets duplicated, i mean that it get spawned a second listener process. As we can't apply changes to the databases on this months, i want to build a shell that can identify the second... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pactows
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill all process of Oracle user

Hi folks, I want to kill all process of oracle user and won't kill shell, should i try this? Please confirm. 1st way pgrep -u oracle | sudo xargs kill -9 2nd way killall -u oracle (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris, grant user to kill another process

the task is grant user1 to kill another (for example user2) process. My steps: by root: usermod -P "Process Management" user1 login user1 user1@server (~) pfexec kill <PID> the result is: ksh: <PID>: not found or user1@server (~) pfexec pkill <PID> the result: nothing happens, still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsyberia
0 Replies
KILL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill, broke - print commands to kill processes SYNOPSIS
kill name broke DESCRIPTION
Kill prints commands that will cause all processes called name and owned by the current user to be terminated. Use the send command of 81/2(1), or pipe the output of kill into rc(1) to execute the commands. Kill suggests sending a kill note to the process; the same message delivered to the process's ctl file (see proc(3)) is a surer, if heavy handed, kill, but is necessary if the offending process is ignoring notes. Broke prints commands that will cause all processes in the Broken state and owned by the current user to go away. When a process dies because of an error caught by the system, it may linger in the Broken state to allow examination with a debugger. Executing the commands printed by broke lets the system reclaim the resources used by the broken processes. SOURCE
/rc/bin/kill /rc/bin/broke SEE ALSO
ps(1), stop(1), proc(3) KILL(1)