Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting best way to insert a line at the top of a file? Post 302285780 by quirkasaurus on Monday 9th of February 2009 04:06:16 PM
Old 02-09-2009
you mean on a file that's already there???

if the file in question isn't so huge it crashes vi, try this:

Code:
vi file << EOF
OWhatever you want as first line
^[:wq!
EOF

Where the ^[ is actually the ESCAPE character entered ( through vi ) with
CONTROL-V and ESC.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert a line as the first line into a very huge file

Hello, I need to insert a line (like a header) as the first line of a very huge file (about 3 ml rows). I am able to do it with sed, but redirecting the output and creating a new file takes quite some time. I was wondering if there was a more efficient way of doing it? Any help would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriek
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into top of file

how would you insert text into a existing file using aguments first arguments being the line of text and the second argument being file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimbob
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I insert argument into TOP of file using vi?

when directing some text into a file can you choose where it goes like the top of the file (which is text aswell) or the middle?? if so how - especially would like to know how to do so in vi (text editor) If i were to enter an argument ($1) into a another argument ($2) would it would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a line into a file in the top

hi, My code is #!/bin/sh echo "\n\nPlease enter the month of the year(YYYYMM) : \c" read date_rep INPUT_L9_FILE=L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_$date_rep.csv #This part is used to summarise Grand_Total, Balance_Total of file L9_Recharge_Description_EOM_${1}.csv. awk -F"," '{if(NR!=1)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madfox
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a new line before every 5th line in a file

Hi, I need to insert a new line containing the string "QUERY" above every 5 lines. The below piece of code inserts a new line after every 5th line awk '{print $0} !(NR%5) {print "QUERY"}' sed 'n;n;n;n;G;' --> I do not know how to give "QUERY" string here But I need to insert it before... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time header at top of file

I'm trying to take mrt output and put it at the top of a file along with the date and time. I was able to do it at the bottom of the file with the following printf "********** $(date) **********\n\n" >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME mtr -r -w -c 10 $HOSTADDRESS >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kramer65
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
TMPFILE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TMPFILE(3)

NAME
tmpfile - create a temporary file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *tmpfile(void); DESCRIPTION
The tmpfile() function opens a unique temporary file in binary read/write (w+b) mode. The file will be automatically deleted when it is closed or the program terminates. RETURN VALUE
The tmpfile() function returns a stream descriptor, or NULL if a unique filename cannot be generated or the unique file cannot be opened. In the latter case, errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EACCES Search permission denied for directory in file's path prefix. EEXIST Unable to generate a unique filename. EINTR The call was interrupted by a signal; see signal(7). EMFILE The per-process limit on the number of open file descriptors has been reached. ENFILE The system-wide limit on the total number of open files has been reached. ENOSPC There was no room in the directory to add the new filename. EROFS Read-only filesystem. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |tmpfile() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C89, C99, SVr4, 4.3BSD, SUSv2. NOTES
POSIX.1-2001 specifies: an error message may be written to stdout if the stream cannot be opened. The standard does not specify the directory that tmpfile() will use. Glibc will try the path prefix P_tmpdir defined in <stdio.h>, and if that fails the directory /tmp. SEE ALSO
exit(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), tempnam(3), tmpnam(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2016-03-15 TMPFILE(3)