Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302284979 by tlarkin on Friday 6th of February 2009 04:47:11 PM
Old 02-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Just a nit, sorry.....

I don't do "everything" from the command line on my OS X machine.

Yes, the GUI permits many things, perhaps even most things for the average user, but it does not faciliate "everything" as mentioned above.
Well, just a few thoughts about the command line and the GUI, they all kind of tie into everything. These binaries are scriptable and can be ran from the from either the comamnd line or GUI

networksetup
scutil
dscl
diskutil
open
osascript
airportd
ARD kickstart
dsenableroot
find

I mean these commands almost all have GUI front ends of some sort, and they all tie into each other very nicely. I find the general documentation and support better than most distros of Linux and Unix. Since I am an OS X sys admin by trade I love writing small scripts to configure my 6,000+ clients and it makes it easy that almost anything you can configure in the OS GUI wise also has a command line counter part which can help you get your job done.

Now on the other hand you average user will never have to open up the terminal they can do almost everything I am talking about by the GUI, which is nice to have it both ways.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
dtadvfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual							dtadvfs(8)

NAME
dtadvfs - Starts the AdvFS graphical user interface SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dtadvfs [options] [-N] [-C hostname] OPTIONS
Turns off information messages about starting up the asemgr utility. This message is displayed at startup and whenever the file system configuration is changed when the system is running TruCluster Software. Connects to other hosts that are running the AdvFS GUI daemon, advfsd. OPERANDS
Uses the standard X Windows options. See the X(1X) and xterm(1X) reference pages for information. DESCRIPTION
The AdvFS graphical user interface (GUI) organizes AdvFS functionality into system management tasks and makes them available through a graphical interface. Issue the dtadvfs command to display the AdvFS GUI Main window. This window serves as both the starting point for all AdvFS GUI-managed tasks and as a monitor for file-system status. When the Main window is displayed, disk-space usage information is shown for the host and file domains. From the Main window, you can choose tasks from the following menus: Choose GUI setup options or exit the GUI. Choose file domain, file- set, clone, or volume configuration tasks. Choose what information displays on the main window or view devices and volumes information. Choose file domain balance or defragment procedures. Online help is available for all tasks and windows available through the GUI. To access help, click on the Help button in any window or choose Help from the menu bar to display information. RESTRICTIONS
You must be the root user to use this utility and you must register the Advanced File System Utilities license. FILES
/Storage_Management/Dtadvfs The indicator for graphic icons. The dtadvfs message log file. Remove or copy this log to another location periodically to prevent the log from becoming too large. The AdvFS Manager user-interface executable file. The dtadvfs online help files. The dtadvfs X resource file. The dtadvfs message catalogs. The GUI graphic icon files. The launch script for the graphic icons. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), advfsd(8), X(1X), xterm(1X) dtadvfs(8)