Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with mksysb
Operating Systems AIX Help with mksysb Post 302284542 by dukessd on Thursday 5th of February 2009 08:19:55 PM
Old 02-05-2009
OK, 4.3.1 still leaves a pretty narrow window of machines that will support this and 5.3.

What is the new system?
prtconf |head
command will show this.

While you are at it, what is the old machine?

You might still be able to update the 4.3.1 machine to 4.3.3 from fix central but I doubt it.
You have probably left it too long to do this update without major pain.

In fact the only machine that supports 4.3.1 and 5.3, other than the F/H50, is the 7017-S70.

Unless you have one of these three to migrate to 5.3 you are probably stuck.

You might be able to do it with a few days of running alt_disk_'command' combinations, good luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mksysb...

Hi friends.. My one problem is not resolved yet I have another. I am planning to take an OS backup of my p550 using "mksysb". Now i am confussed. suppose I give the command to take the backup into a tape drive and my backup size exceeds the tape capacity.. what will happen? will it ask for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
2 Replies

2. AIX

Problem with MKSYSB

Am taking a tape backup and the error output shows this. ---------------------------------------------------------------- ====== mksysb errors from /opt/uss/log/run_mksysb.stdout: 0512-038 mksysb: Backup Completed Successfully. ====== mksysb errors from /opt/uss/log/run_mksysb.stderr: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb

I dont have either a tape drive or a DVD Writer attached to the AIX box. Can you let me know the possibilities of making an mksysb in a bootable media? This is required as we have a requirement to upgrade the OS. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
2 Replies

4. AIX

mksysb issue

Hi, guys I have experience in UNIX, but more in hpux, have done an mksysb in an Aix server 5.3, and then restore in other server with same model, everithing fine but no TCP/IP configuration and hostname its like "localhost" after the restore. It's something wrong? I've change the configuration,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uadm26
5 Replies

5. AIX

mksysb backup

hi guys, i just want to take my server's mksysb backup through dvd-rom.but am having the doubt that, while am taking the mksysb backup in image it shows 8GB. So can i confirm that it takes 2 dvds and after writing in 1st cd it will ask for 2nd cd?????? please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

6. AIX

Mksysb message

Hello, I'm starting a mksysb with the help of a unix script and the crontab. The script is scheduled with crontab and executes "mksysb -i -X /dev/rmt0". When the mksysb is completed the script displays the endtime. But I also get a lot of cat messages (see below). When I look with "ps -ef... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter_e
2 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb

Hello everyone I have two questions. I would like to hear your opinions, your tips. I have several box with aix 5.3. the rootvg in each box has mirror. but I have a cron that makes a mksysb every week. Do you think that it the best to have a mksysb of rootvg if I have a mirror on this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

8. AIX

Need to take MKSYSB backup

Hi, Can any one suggest me how to take the mksysb backup in CD (VCD/DVD). I have tried like #mkcd -d /dev/cd0, but its not working. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oprakash
3 Replies

9. AIX

mksysb backup

hi we are having one rootvg in that we created one lv named mksysb_backuplv and normally script will run accordingly to take the backup in the cron,here i just want to know if any rootfilesystem was correpted like /usr or /tmp ,then how could i restore the particular filesystme from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senmak
1 Replies

10. AIX

savevg - mksysb

Hello, I use commands savevg & mksysb to do backups on an AIX server. Frequently, I have a return code 3. I would know why, but after searches, I did'nt find. If somebody know ... Tell me. Thanks. emetra (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emetra
2 Replies
TS(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     TS(4)

NAME
ts - TS-11 magtape interface SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NTS ts_drives # TS11 /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments ts ? 172520 224 5 tsintr # ts11 driver major device number(s): raw: 8 block: 2 minor device encoding: bits 0003 specify TS drive bit 0004 specifies no-rewind operation bit 0010 ignored DESCRIPTION
The ts-11 combination provides a standard tape drive interface as described in mtio(4). The ts-11 operates only at 1600 bpi, and only one transport is possible per controller. FILES
/dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
mt(1), tar(1), tp(1), mtio(4), ht(4), tm(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
ts%d: no write ring. An attempt was made to write on the tape drive when no write ring was present; this message is written on the termi- nal of the user who tried to access the tape. ts%d: not online. An attempt was made to access the tape while it was offline; this message is written on the terminal of the user who tried to access the tape. ts%d: hard error bn%d xs0=%b xs1=%b xs2=%b xs3=%b. A hard error occurred on the tape at block bn; status registers 0-3 are printed in octal and symbolically decoded as bits. ts%d: addr mod 4 != 0. The address of a TS-11 command packet was not on an even longword boundary. BUGS
If any non-data error is encountered on non-raw tape, it refuses to do anything more until closed. The device lives at the same address as a tm-11 tm(4). 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 28, 1988 TS(4)