Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing text with contents from another file Post 302284167 by curleb on Wednesday 4th of February 2009 11:12:47 PM
Old 02-05-2009
did you re-check your makefile for the backticks? or try the alternate in-line formatting? back-ticks were deprecated for this very reason...although there may be others...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing strings with text from other file

Hi, Im trying to update some properties files with text from another file: file1 user=xyz file2 user= after script file2 user=xyz Im using this reading the $QUARTZURL,ETC... from quartz.properties: echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mc1392
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in parsing text file contents

Hi, I need some help in extracting the Exception block between the lines 21 Feb 01:18:54:146 ERROR com.orbits.frameworks.integrationframework.ValidationException - Caught exception in validateRequest() (PID=565584) and 21 Feb 01:18:55:149 INFO ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alecs
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Text in Text file

Hi Guys, I am needing some help writing a shell script to replace the following in a text file /opt/was/apps/was61 with some other path eg /usr/blan/blah/blah. I know that i can do it using sed or perl but just having difficulty writing the escape characters for it All Help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgilchrist
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing contents in a file from multiple programmes

Hi All, I have a query on Perl. I have a text file which has 3 lines, i want to only replace the first line with my replaced text and keep the rest of the text. FOr eg Before change --> echo:a:pending echo:b:pending echo:c:pending After change ---> echo:a:done echo:b:pending... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tosatesh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing text in a file, but...

Hi all, Very first post on this forums, hope you can help me with this scripting task. I have a big text file with over 3000 lines, some of those lines contain some text that I need to replace, lets say for simplicity the text to be replaced in those lines is "aaa" and I need it to replace it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Angelseph
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string in all instances (both filenames and file contents) in a directory

Hi, I have a set of files stored in a single directory that I use to set parameters for a physics code, and I would like to streamline the process of updating them all when I change a parameter. For instance, if the files are called A2000p300ini, A2000p300sub, A2000p300run, and the text in each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueChris
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a column in a text file

Say I had a text file that contained four columns, like the following: Mack Christopher:237 Avondale Blvd:970-791-6419:S Ben Macdonor:30 Dragon Rd:647-288-6395:B I'm making a loop that will replace the fourth column a line in the file with the contents of a variable 'access', but I have no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sotau
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for copying the contents of other file replacing it another file on specifc pattern

We have 2 file XML files - FILE1.XML and FILE2.xml - we need copy the contents of FILE1.XML and replace in FILE2.xml pattern "<assignedAttributeList></assignedAttributeList>" FILE1.XML 1. <itemList> 2. <item type="Manufactured"> 3. <resourceCode>431048</resourceCode> 4. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balrajg
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a particular string in all files in folder and file contents

I need to replace all filesnames in a folder as well as its content from AK6 to AK11. Eg Folder has files AK6-Create.xml, AK6-system.py etc.. the files names as well as contents should be changes to AK9-Create.xml, AK9-system.py etc All files are xml and python scripts. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Candid247
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo variable contents into a text file...

Hi all, I am trying to create a script to read my Windows UUIDs and create mounts in fstab. I know there are different and maybe even better ways to mount Windows partitions at boot time, but I always manually create them in fstab successfully. I do a clean install of Ubuntu often and would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ian Pride
2 Replies
RDEV(8) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   RDEV(8)

NAME
rdev - query/set image root device, RAM disk size, or video mode SYNOPSIS
rdev [-Rrvh] [-o offset] [image [value [offset]]] rdev [-o offset] [image [root_device [offset]]] ramsize [-o offset] [image [size [offset]]] vidmode [-o offset] [image [mode [offset]]] rootflags [-o offset] [image [flags [offset]]] DESCRIPTION
With no arguments, rdev outputs an /etc/mtab line for the current root file system. With no arguments, ramsize, vidmode, and rootflags print usage information. In a bootable image for the Linux kernel on i386, there are several pairs of bytes which specify the root device, the video mode, and the size of the RAM disk. These pairs of bytes, by default, begin at offset 504 (decimal) in the kernel image: 498 Root flags (500 and 502 Reserved) 504 RAM Disk Size 506 VGA Mode 508 Root Device (510 Boot Signature) rdev will change these values. Typical values for the image parameter, which is a bootable Linux kernel image, might be: /vmlinux /vmunix /boot/bzImage-2.4.0 /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 When using the rdev command, the root_device parameter might be something like: /dev/hda1 /dev/hdf13 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdc4 /dev/ida/c0d0p1 One may also specify the device by a comma-separated pair of decimal integers major,minor. For the ramsize command, the size parameter specifies the size of the RAM disk in kilobytes. 2.0.x kernels and newer dynamically allocate the ramdisk and do not need this setting. For the rootflags command, the flags parameter contains extra information used when mounting root. Currently the only effect of these flags is to force the kernel to mount the root filesystem in readonly mode if flags is non-zero. For the vidmode command, the mode parameter specifies the video mode: -3 = Prompt -2 = Extended VGA -1 = Normal VGA 0 = as if "0" was pressed at the prompt 1 = as if "1" was pressed at the prompt 2 = as if "2" was pressed at the prompt n = as if "n" was pressed at the prompt If the value is not specified, the image will be examined to determine the current settings. OPTIONS
-r Causes rdev to act like ramsize (Not relevant for 2.0.x and newer kernels). -R Causes rdev to act like rootflags. -v Causes rdev to act like vidmode. -h Provides help. BUGS
The rdev utility, when used other than to find a name for the current root device, is an ancient hack that works by patching a kernel image at a magic offset with magic numbers. It does not work on architectures other than i386. Its use is strongly discouraged. Use a boot loader like SysLinux or LILO instead. HISTORY
At offset 502 there used to be the device number of the swap device (in Linux 0.12), and "rdev -s" or "swapdev" would set this. However, since Linux 0.95 this constant is not used any longer, and the swap device is specified using the swapon(2) system call. At offset 504 there used to be the size of the ramdisk in kilobytes. One would specify a size, and this much was grabbed off the top of memory. In Linux 1.1.39 it became also possible to set this value on the kernel command line. In Linux 1.3.48 the ramdisk setup was changed. Ramdisk memory is now taken from the buffer cache, so that the ramdisk can grow dynamically. The interpretation of the ramdisk word was changed to a word of which the high order bit is a prompt flag (1: prompt for ramdisk: "VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER" - this is needed with a two-floppy boot), the next bit a load flag (1: load ramdisk), and the low order 11 bits give the starting block number of the root filesystem image (so that one can have a single floppy boot). See also linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt. AUTHORS
Originally by Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) Modified by Peter MacDonald (pmacdona@sanjuan.UVic.CA) rootflags support added by Stephen Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk) AVAILABILITY
The rdev command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 0.99 20 November 1993 RDEV(8)