Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SunFire V245, External CD/DVD-ROM, Solaris Install Post 302283649 by b1f30 on Tuesday 3rd of February 2009 05:45:41 PM
Old 02-03-2009
Network SunFire V245, External CD/DVD-ROM, Solaris Install

Hey all.

Wondering - I have a pair of V245's with no internal CD/DVD-ROM drives, and I want to install the latest/greatest Solaris 10.

Booting these machines with an external drive plugged in via USB does no good.

Is jumpstart or installing internal drives the only alternative?

I'm a n00b with the SunFire machines.

Any assistance/tips, greatly appreciated!

:-\

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

DVD-ROM on Solaris 2.6

Netra T1 running Solaris 2.6 with following DVD installed: c0t6d0 Soft Errors: 131 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: TOSHIBA Product: DVD-ROM SD-M1401 Revision: 1007 I know the cdrw command isn't in Solaris until version 8 and DVD is suppose to be udfs (not supported... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RTM
3 Replies

2. Solaris

external DVD-ROM drive for our datacentre

Hi there In our Data centre we have a mixture of SPARCS running from v100 and ultra10's to v800 and v1250 boxes we also have a large amount of x86 X2100 and X4100 boxes I am looking to purchase an external DVD-ROM drive that we can plug into the back of any of the boxes if we need to (I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

3. Solaris

questions on how to install Solaris 10 via DVD/RW external device

Whoa...glad to see this forum si up and running, as a few weeks ago I tried to check in and found it directing me somewhere else and felt maybe this board was being hijacked or someone was closing down this forum. Here is a problem I am having. I got a SunFire V100 and disc with Solaris 10 on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
8 Replies

4. Solaris

how to go to system console through ALOM in Sunfire V245

Hello , I am connecting sumfire v245 server to my laptop Through ALOM method.i got the ALOM prompt but after that i am typing sc> console to go to system console but i am not able to,after typing console only this line is coming Type #. to go back to ALOM. What to do ?? That server having... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avi157
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Resolution error sunfire v245

Hi all, I am getting the below error on Solaris sunfire v245 server Error: can not display this video mode optimum resolution 1024x768 60Hz i am not able to resolve this .plz help me out ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 does not mount CD/DVD ROM

Hi All, I just bought the SUN x2200m2. After I installed Solaris, I cannot see the CD/DVD ROM. I cannot mount the CD/DVD ROM since it says already mounted. When I try unmount it I get message that CD/DVD is not mounted. :( Any idea please. Thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afakhim
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

External DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP rp7400

Please help me > How to diag the external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device only showing all disks >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpuser
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not?on HP rp74000

old clunker - rp74000 How to diag the external DVD-ROM drives issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 Please help me > I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpuser
1 Replies

9. Hardware

POST error on SunFire V245

I've recently bought an SunFire V245. 2x 2.5ghz x64 4gb ram 4x 73gb sas hdd and... an blinking 'Identifior led' (white) with 'Service led' (amber) simultaneously. It boots for +- 5 secs and then the error occurd. Things done: Removed all hdd. Switched cpu Switched/removed ram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niswier2222
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Failed to identify flash rom on Sunfire V240 running Solaris 10

Hi Guys, I have performed OBP & ALOM upgrade on V240 system. One of my system, running Solaris 10, having issue to identify flash rom during ALOM 1.6.10 version upgrade (OBP upgraded to latest one). May I know what the reason of this error and how can I fix it so I can upgrade ALOM using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: myrpthidesis
0 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)