Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove box like special character from end of string Post 302282288 by quirkasaurus on Friday 30th of January 2009 01:03:24 PM
Old 01-30-2009
was this file transferred from dos to unix?

anyhoo.. . . typically, i'll remove non-ascii chars like so:

Code:
sed -e 's/[^ -~]//g' file_in > file_out

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a special character at the end of the line

I used following to add * at the end of the line in file1. It adds * at the end but has a space before it for some lines but some other lines it adds exactly after the last character. How do I take out the space ? sed 's/$/*/' file1 > file2 example: contents of file1 : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special character from a textfile

Can any one plse help me writing shell script to removing some special character pattern (like / > -------, / > / > ------- etc....as shown below) from the text file ASAP. / > ------- <tag-normalization tag-name="EXECSERVPRODUCT" read-only="false" part="body"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special char from end of the file

Hi I am working on a bash script and would know how to use cut or sed to remove (F/.M/d h) from a text file. Before 1 text to save (F/.M/d h) after 1 text to save Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special character from a specific column

Hello , i have a text file like this : A123 c12AB c32DD aaaa B123 23DS 12QW bbbb C123 2GR 3RG cccccc i want to remove the numbers from second and third column only. i tried this : perl -pe 's///g' file.txt > newfile.txt but it will remove the number from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelladdict
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special character ($) from file names

Hello I've searched here and on the 'net for examples of a script or command line function that will remove the $ character from all file names only that can be done within the directory that contains the file names - which are all html files. ie, I have a directory that contains html files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd character from the end of a random-length string

Hi, I hope someone can share there scripting fu on my problem, I would like to delete the 3rd character from a random length of string starting from the end Example Output Hope you can help me.. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove some special ascii character

Hello I have this special caracter after retreving rows from sql server: "....spasses: • Entrem al valort 6050108002811 • El donem..." I would like a sed command to remove it..or just know it's ascii code in order to replace it into my sql sentence.. Hope some one knows how to do that.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank space and insert special character

Hi Folks, I have a huge data of the below format abc #apple 1200 06/23 ghj #orange 1500 06/27 uyt #banana 2300 05/13 efg #vegetable 0700 04/16 After first 3 letters, i have 9 spaces and after fruit there are no specific fixed space, but it varies... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies
cr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cr(1)

NAME
cr - converts text files between nix EOL and dos EOL SYNOPSIS
cr - | + <input file> <output file> DESCRIPTION
Text files, such as tle files, that come from a dos source usualy have the ^M symbol at the end of every line. Cr converts files between the dos newline format and the normal *nix newline format by stripping the ^M to convert dos to *nix, using the '-' option, or adding ^M to a *nix file to create the proper dos file when the '+' option is used. Although this extra character is not often a problem, programs like seesat5, which are data driven will encounter parsing problems when the extra character is present. It is these problems that cr is intended to repair. Options - | + One or the other of these options is required. The '-' option is used to remove ^M from all newlines found in the dos file. The '+' option is used to add ^M to every newline found in a *nix file. input file Fully delineated path to the input file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standard input is not used. output file Fully delineated path to the output file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standart output is not used. SEE ALSO
seesat5(1), seesat5(7), SEESAT5.INI(5), tle(5) BUGS
Cr is not an inteligent program. It methodicaly replaces/removes the offending character when it finds it in the correct context. Newline sequences found in contexts other than 'newline' will be replaced/removed just like those found in the proper context. Passing a binary file through cr is not advised, for this reason. Send all inqueries to Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>. Debian Linux 2 April 96 cr(1)