Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Display runnning countdown in a bash script? Post 302281959 by Corona688 on Thursday 29th of January 2009 11:00:22 PM
Old 01-30-2009
This uses a few tricks to do what you want:
  • The printf command does NOT append a linefeed automatically unless you tell it to.
  • Setting IFS to something else lets the shell split things apart into arrays on whatever delimiter you want, in this case , :.
  • The date command can be used to produce time in seconds.
  • Carriage returns return the cursor to the beginning of the line without moving to the next line.

Code:
function countdown
{
        local OLD_IFS="${IFS}"
        IFS=":"
        local ARR=( $1 )
        local SECONDS=$((  (ARR[0] * 60 * 60) + (ARR[1] * 60) + ARR[2]  ))
        local START=$(date +%s)
        local END=$((START + SECONDS))
        local CUR=$START

while [[ $CUR -lt $END ]]
        do
                CUR=$(date +%s)
                LEFT=$((END-CUR))

printf "\r%02d:%02d:%02d" \
                        $((LEFT/3600)) $(( (LEFT/60)%60)) $((LEFT%60))

sleep 1
        done
        IFS="${OLD_IFS}"
        echo "        "
}

countdown "00:07:55"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script - loop to countdown

I am taking a class in UNIX and have written a script that needs to countdown from a number that is read in from the keyboard to zero. If no number is given the start of the countdown should default to 10. I can't get this to do the default #! /bin/sh echo Enter a number here to countdown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: froggwife
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to display directories in Path?

Hello there, As a newbie: The directories in PATH can be hard to distinguish when printed out as one line with colon .Please, can i have a sample script to display them,one to a line. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debut
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

runnning a shell script in multiple folders

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to both unix and shell scripts. Right now I have a script that I can run in one folder (if a certain text file is there, do one thing, if it's not, do something else). I want to modify this to run in multiple directories. My setup is: a company directory, and within it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melearlin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to display tail

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a script to format a file using unix2dos. I want to output all but the first 14 lines in a file. Then I want to pipe this to unix2dos to convert the output to a file that's easily readable on windows. Here's what I have: export Lines=`wc -l < $1` export... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuminalZero
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know of any FUN countdown script

Hi all, Does anyone know of any FUN countdown script that I can use for my script? At the moment, am just using sleep 10 or more and then print stuff into the screen to allow more time for the user to decide whether they want to continue running the script or abort? Just thought of wanting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to refresh a graphical display through bash script

Hi folks , I need to display a message graphically using a messagebox or textbox through bash script. However the message should be keep changing every 4 secs . I input the message from a file and use "gxmessage" to display it . gxmessage -nofocus -center -title "Welcome screen" -geometry... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddspark
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - countdown timer

Hello, I have another problem with my script - I would like to have a countdown timer visible on the screen, and at the same time, I want te be able to do something else. And when the time runs out, I need to know about that inside the script somehow and do some action. I guess that would require 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to display result in table

My script gives the following result. Is it possible to display the same in table format ? 1. rex_best Latest feeds are not avaialable. The last feed was generated on 2012-05-17 File Name = ekb_best_20120517_010949_665.tar.gz The Number of entry elements = 4209539 2. rex_genre Latest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorekumar87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
rdate(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 rdate(1M)

NAME
rdate - set system date from a remote host SYNOPSIS
rdate hostname DESCRIPTION
rdate sets the local date and time from the hostname given as an argument. You must have the authorization solaris.system.date on the local system. Typically, rdate is used in a startup script. The inetd daemon responds to rdate requests. To enable inetd response, the lines invoking the time command in inetd.conf must not be com- mented out. USAGE
The rdate command is IPv6-enabled. See ip6(7P). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmdc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
inetd(1M), inetd.conf(4), attributes(5), ip6(7P) SunOS 5.10 15 Feb 2001 rdate(1M)