Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trap
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trap Post 302281861 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 29th of January 2009 03:43:57 PM
Old 01-29-2009
trap cannot "trap" all signals, for example SIGKILL is "immune" to a trap.

Near the top of your file:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

trap "rm -f somefile; exit 1" INT  # you can add more signals here

will execute the command in quotes when CTRL/C -- SIGINT -- is sent to the process.
kill -l (that's the letter ELL) will show you the names of your signals. Be aware that not all signals need to be trapped nor can they be.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with trap

My problem is this: I need to have a catch-all for my processes. An example would be, using a trap, in the parent, to catch any non-0 exit or invalid command (a way to catch core dumps would be cool, too) in not only the parent, but it's children and they're children. Not only that, but I also... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marc6057
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap

I'd like to use "trap" command on my unix machine sunOS 5.7. But somehow when I do "which trap" command, it's no where to be found. Any one knows how I can get it installed? Thanks!! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a better mouse trap, or How many lines of code does it take to trap a mouse?

Hello all, I'm hoping to get a little insight from some of the wily veterans amongst you. I've written a script to check for new outgoing files to our vendors located on our ssl server. It seems to be working ok, but the final question here, will be one of logic, and/or a better way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with trap

Hi Our problem is knowing: What is the "best" way of simulating a TRAP for ERR within a function, since we know this will not work directly with ksh93 and aix5. How can we save the error encountered in the function and then deal with it in the calling script? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theteeth07
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap

Hi All "Identify the behavior of traps, mechanism to implement traps in the snmp framework" What does it mean?? Can anybody explain.. Whats this Trap?? Thanx in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeenat
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trap

I have a script #!/bin/ksh trap cleanup 20 cleanup() { cat $t.log echo Caught exit 1 } if ;then echo Found >>t.log exit 20 else echo Not found >>t.log exit 20 fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this 'trap' do?

trap "" 1 2 3 Thanks, -dog (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

VM trap may work differently than a pure install trap.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: That is the last reply I received from my instructor, and I'm looking for some alternatives. When using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser45
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap

Hi Ppl, Need help $ cat trap.sh #!/bin/bash trap cleanup 1 2 3 15 cleanup() { echo “I was running \”$BASH_COMMAND\” when you interrupted me.” echo “Quitting.” exit 1 } while : do echo -en “hello. “ sleep 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
3 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)