Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get a name according to the 2nd field Post 302281222 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 11:42:38 AM
Old 01-28-2009
melanie,
you've been quite a 'busy beaver' posting to this Forums lately with members providing solutions.
There are plenty of similar posts - try searching and taking a stab at it yourself.
I'm sure if/when you need specific help, someone will be will to help.

Hint: 'man awk'

Good luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to change 2nd field

Hi I am a beginner to sed command, here I have a question about using sed to add a few characters into a token of a string. For example, I have a file, sqw:qqq:123124:uiqe dfd:ccc:12390:dfjis cde:aaa:21311:dfjsid and, I want the output to be, sqw:qqq:123124:uiqe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julius
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to find duplicates in 2nd field

I want to find duplicates in file on 2nd field i wrote this code: nawk '{a++} END{for i in a {if (a>1) print}}' temp Could not find whats wrong with this. Appreciate help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alpha on 1st field, numerical on 2nd field (sci notation)

I want to sort alphabetically on the first field and sort in descending numerical order on the 2nd field. With a normal "sort -r -n" it does this: abc ||| 5e-05 ||| bla abc ||| 3 ||| ble def ||| 1 ||| abc def ||| 0.2 ||| def As you can see it ignores the fact that 5e-05 is actually 0.00005... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl sum 2nd field in an array

Hi Everyone, ($total+=$_) for @record; assume @record=(1,2,3), so the result is 6. if @record=("1 3","2 3","3 3"), would like to sum up the 2nd field of this array, the result is 9. i tried " ($total+=$) for @record ", cannot, please advice. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 03:45... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the 2nd field

java....4059... compsite 62u IPv4 170747 TCP *:9400 (LISTEN) java...... 05... compsite 109u IPv4 171216 TCP *:9401 (LISTEN) This is Joust formated like this Please Repace "." with space" " All are Right Justfied Output :- 4058 and 05 so that i can kill this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshpatra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to work on 2nd field only

I have a requirement to replace "\" with "/" in only the 2nd field of the input file which has 2 fields. The field delimiter is "|" Sample records from input file: 1\23|\tmp\user mn\wer|\home\temp Expected output: 1\23|/tmp/user mn\wer|/home/temp I used sed 's/\\/\//g' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting only 2nd and third duplicates in field 2

(7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine Similar Output from the 2nd field w.r.t 1st Field

Hi, For example: I have: HostA,XYZ HostB,XYZ HostC,ABC I would like the output to be: HostA,HostB: XYZ HostC:ABC How can I achieve this? So far what I though of is: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
KITSEND(1)						      General Commands Manual							KITSEND(1)

NAME
kitpost - posts distribution kits SYNOPSIS
kitpost [ -hrV ] [ -H file ] [ -D desc ] [ -m dest1,dest2 ] [ kits ] [ newsgroups ] DESCRIPTION
Kitpost posts distribution kits made by makedist to some (source) newsgroups specified on the command line. If you do not specify any kit list, then all the kits are sent. Otherwise, only the specified kits will be (re)sent. A kit list may include ranges, 1-10 specifying kits 1 through 10, and 5- meaning kits 5 up to the last one. You may also specify kit num- bers by separating them with commas or spaces, and even mix with ranges, such as: 1 3 5-7 9. Kitpost ensures correct References: lines are inserted in your postings so that all parts but the first point to the root article. Threaded newsreaders and end-users traditionally appreciate that. OPTIONS
The following options are recognized by kitpost: -h Print help message and exit. -m dest1,destn Sends kits by e-mail to the specified recipients. This option may be used in conjunction with newsgroup posting. It is mainly intended for sites where direct posting to a moderated newsgroup is not allowed by inews. You may thus send your kits to the newsgroup moderator in a form that will ease the whole posting process. -r Signals a repost. -D description Specify a description string that will be added to the subject line. Usually a brief sentence (less than, say, 40 characters). -H file Specify a file to be used as header introduction in the first part of your posting. Usually the root README file. -V Print version number and exit. BUGS
Article cross-referencing is properly set-up only when the whole package is (re)posted in one batch. It is not currently possible to set-up the article headers manually or better, interactively. AUTHOR
Raphael Manfredi <ram@hptnos02.grenoble.hp.com> SEE ALSO
makedist(1), kitsend(1). ram KITSEND(1)