Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display dates within a given date range Post 302281197 by quirkasaurus on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 10:42:43 AM
Old 01-28-2009
Well, your date format is a problem...

In ksh, you can use this case statement to verify (somewhat) the correct date format:

Code:
#----------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Check user input for dates in DDMMCCYY format.                       #
check_ddmmccyy()
{
ddmmccyy=$1

case $ddmmccyy in

# Does some really basic date checking...                              #
  [0-3][0-9][0-9][0-2][12][0-9][0-9][0-9]) return 0 ;;
  *) return 1 ;;

esac
}

But to do a comparision of the 2 values, you need to reformat them into:
CCYYMMDD format...

So why not just ask for the data in that format to begin with?
Or ask for the input data in this format:

CCYY/MM/DD

So it's easier to parse, and verify and all that?

At any rate, what SHELL are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display files that have been modifed between a given date range

Hi, I am new to Unix and was trying different ways of how to display the list of file names modified between a given date range in sorting order.I will get the fromdate and Todate from the browser, I need to display the list of all the file names that are modified between the given date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prathima
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

display the file with in the date range

Hi All, I want a shell script which can display the file with in the date range. For Example I have 15 files with the following format abc_01-01-2009.txt to abc_15-01-2009.txt. Now I want to have the files between 4th of jan to 12th files. How can I acheive this. Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fareed_do
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display the last five dates from the given date

Hi all, In Oracle we have got sysdate -1 to find the previous date. Is there any similar way to display date in unix shell scripting? Kindly help me to display the last five dates from the given date Thanks, Geetha (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pull range of dates/times and put into new file

Need to pull from a range of dates/times (ex. 6:00 AM March 3 through 6:00 AM March 4) from a folder and put those file names in a new file to process later. Dates would not be hard dates but dates from the folder directory, how would I do that? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie999
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 'date' to list a range of dates

Hi guys, I have been trying to create a list of dates from a certain range, ie. range from 01011950 to 31122000 But when my below code reaches certain dates, it comes up with a; 'date: invalid date 'yyyy-mm-dd -d 1day' Sofar I have come up with the following, slow and ugly; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

show div on select - range of dates

Hi, I am sure this is simple, but I am breaking my head. I need 1 page with at the top a range of dates, 2002, 2003, 2004 etc If you select 2002 it will show the content of 1 div, if you select 2002 the content of another div. this is for showing announcements on a site, right now there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

display Range of date depend on user input php

Hi, i am very new to php Is it possible to display Range of date depend on user input day example: user input 2 day start from 28/4/12 it will add 2 day from date of input so display should look like this 28/4/12 to 30/4/12 then from 30/412 user add another 4 date so will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: guidely
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display data from a range of dates

I have a data in a file called SCHED which has 5 columns: sched no, date, time, place and remarks. The image is shown below. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54949888/Screenshot%20from%202013-01-02%2002%3A42%3A25.png Now, I want to display only the schedules which fall under a certain date range which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angilulu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display lines of two date range from syslog file

Hi Guys, I want to display lines from Solaris syslog file but with 2 dates range. I have some similar solution (https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/39293-grep-log-file-between-2-dates-4.html) which works fine but as you know syslog has different date format (Jan 22) so this is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display dates between two dates

Hi All, I have 2 dates in mm/dd format. sdate=10/01 (October 01) edate=10/10 (October 10) I need the dates in between these 2 dates like below. 10/01 10/02 10/03 10/04 10/05 10/06 10/07 10/08 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies
DP(8)								     [nmh-1.5]								     DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)