Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display dates within a given date range Post 302281186 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 10:24:06 AM
Old 01-28-2009
If you rearrange the order to YYYYMMDD you can use the date as a long integer.
One way to do this.
Code:
# compar reaanage and compare dates
# returns 0 if in the range 
#         -1 if below the lower bound, 
#         1 if above the upper bound
compar()
{
    echo "$1 $2 $3" |\
	awk 'function rearrange( mySTRING ){
	       return  substr(mySTRING,5) substr(mySTRING,3,2) substr(mySTRING, 1,2)
	     }
	     { one=rearrange($1)
	       two=rearrange($2)
	       three=rearrange($3)
	       if(three > one) {print 1; exit}
	       if(three < two) { print -1; exit}
	       print 0
	     } '
}

a=01312009
b=12012008
c=01012009

if [[  $(compar "$a" "$b" "$c") -eq 0 ]] ; then 
    echo "$c is in the range between $a and $b"
else
    echo "not in date range"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display files that have been modifed between a given date range

Hi, I am new to Unix and was trying different ways of how to display the list of file names modified between a given date range in sorting order.I will get the fromdate and Todate from the browser, I need to display the list of all the file names that are modified between the given date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prathima
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

display the file with in the date range

Hi All, I want a shell script which can display the file with in the date range. For Example I have 15 files with the following format abc_01-01-2009.txt to abc_15-01-2009.txt. Now I want to have the files between 4th of jan to 12th files. How can I acheive this. Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fareed_do
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display the last five dates from the given date

Hi all, In Oracle we have got sysdate -1 to find the previous date. Is there any similar way to display date in unix shell scripting? Kindly help me to display the last five dates from the given date Thanks, Geetha (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pull range of dates/times and put into new file

Need to pull from a range of dates/times (ex. 6:00 AM March 3 through 6:00 AM March 4) from a folder and put those file names in a new file to process later. Dates would not be hard dates but dates from the folder directory, how would I do that? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie999
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 'date' to list a range of dates

Hi guys, I have been trying to create a list of dates from a certain range, ie. range from 01011950 to 31122000 But when my below code reaches certain dates, it comes up with a; 'date: invalid date 'yyyy-mm-dd -d 1day' Sofar I have come up with the following, slow and ugly; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

show div on select - range of dates

Hi, I am sure this is simple, but I am breaking my head. I need 1 page with at the top a range of dates, 2002, 2003, 2004 etc If you select 2002 it will show the content of 1 div, if you select 2002 the content of another div. this is for showing announcements on a site, right now there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

display Range of date depend on user input php

Hi, i am very new to php Is it possible to display Range of date depend on user input day example: user input 2 day start from 28/4/12 it will add 2 day from date of input so display should look like this 28/4/12 to 30/4/12 then from 30/412 user add another 4 date so will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: guidely
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display data from a range of dates

I have a data in a file called SCHED which has 5 columns: sched no, date, time, place and remarks. The image is shown below. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54949888/Screenshot%20from%202013-01-02%2002%3A42%3A25.png Now, I want to display only the schedules which fall under a certain date range which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angilulu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display lines of two date range from syslog file

Hi Guys, I want to display lines from Solaris syslog file but with 2 dates range. I have some similar solution (https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/39293-grep-log-file-between-2-dates-4.html) which works fine but as you know syslog has different date format (Jan 22) so this is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display dates between two dates

Hi All, I have 2 dates in mm/dd format. sdate=10/01 (October 01) edate=10/10 (October 10) I need the dates in between these 2 dates like below. 10/01 10/02 10/03 10/04 10/05 10/06 10/07 10/08 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies
lsearch(3)						     Library Functions Manual							lsearch(3)

Name
       lsearch, lfind - linear search and update

Syntax
       #include <search.h>
       #include <sys/types.h>

void *lsearch (key, base, nelp, width, compar)
       void *key;
       void *base;
       size_t *nelp;
       size_t width;
       int (*compar)( );

void *lfind (key, base, nelp, width, compar)
       void *key;
       void *base;
       size_t *nelp;
       size_t width;
       int (*compar)( );

Description
       The  subroutine	is a linear search routine generalized from Knuth (6.1) Algorithm S.  It returns a pointer into a table indicating where a
       datum may be found.  If the datum does not occur, it is added at the end of the table.  The key points to the datum to be sought in the ta-
       ble.   The  base  points to the first element in the table.  The nelp points to an integer containing the current number of elements in the
       table.  The width is the size of an element in bytes.  The integer is incremented if the datum is added to the table.  The  compar  is  the
       name  of  the comparison function which the user must supply (strcmp, for example).  It is called with two arguments that point to the ele-
       ments being compared.  The function must return zero if the elements are equal and non-zero otherwise.

The subroutine is the same as lsearch except that if the datum is not found, it is not added to the table.   Instead,  a  NULL  pointer	is
       returned.  The pointers to the key and the element at the base of the table should be of type pointer-to-element, and cast to type pointer-
       to-character.

The comparison function need not compare every byte, so arbitrary data may be contained in the elements in addition  to	the  values  being
       compared.

Although declared as type pointer-to-character, the value returned should be cast into type pointer-to-element.

Restrictions
       Undefined results can occur if there is not enough room in the table to add a new item.

Return Values
       If the searched for datum is found, both and return a pointer to it.  Otherwise, returns NULL and returns a pointer to the newly added ele-
       ment.

See Also
       bsearch(3), hsearch(3), tsearch(3)

lsearch(3)