Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to create file of fixed size? Post 30228 by Perderabo on Friday 18th of October 2002 08:40:53 AM
Old 10-18-2002
HP-UX does not /dev/zero nor mkfile. Modern versions of HP-UX have a command called prealloc which can do this. But I doubt that this command will exist on HP-UX 6.5. I'm pretty sure that will need to upgrade to HP-UX 7.0 before you will have this command available. Smilie

I guess you can just cat several copies of a large file together to make your placeholder.
cat largefile largefile largefile > placeholder
Since your disks are only 571 MB this shouldn't take long.

BTW, I once lifted an enclosure with two 7937's and placed it into a shipping container. Smilie

Seriously, why are running a system this old?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User unable to create a file over 2 GB's in size

Hello, this is my first post. I have a user who cannot create a file over 2 GB's in size eventhough the FS is large file enabled and I added a special stanza in /etc/security/limits to allow an unlimited file size for this particular user (user1 - see below). ibm:/home/root (4062)#cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXtexas
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to create a file of specified size

hi guys, Is there any way to create a file of specified size ..ie...during creation itself u should be able to specify the size of it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep
12 Replies

3. AIX

dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed.

Hi. After the shutdown for SWIFT Alliance Server, tape backup process will be done. Unfortunately, I encountered this error message when I performed the database tape backup. The error was "/dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed. Consider reconfiguration through 'chdev'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MariaLuisa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To create a file of spcified size

Hi By using the following command i am creating a file with specified size but it is creating with some text file. ut i want some zero equipped file. dd if=/dev/zero of=myfile bs=1024 count=10 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelkumar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to create a file of specified size

Hi, I need to create a file using touch command . I want the size to be of 300 MB . Is it possible with touch or any other command. Thanx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply2soumya
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create file with fixed record size

Hello all, Linux - Is there any way of creating a new file and determining its record size upon creation? open() and creat() do not refer to record size. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klafte
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create csv with output filenames and file size

Hello All, Here is seeking a bit of help in trying to solve a problem. I am required to create a csv file as shown below: output.csv -> output_1,output_2,output_3,...,output_<N> filename1:20,filename2:30,filename3:30,...,filename<N>:30 by listing output_1, output_2,... , output<N> as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumbhakarna
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using printf (or other?) to create variable fixed width text

I would like to use printf (or something else?) to create a line of text that has varying column widths. This will be used to create a fixed width file (with varying column widths). For example, consider variables $1 $2 $3 are equal to a, b, c respectively and they should be printed in column... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: farrenthorpe
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide number of lines by the size of the same file. And create relational table.

I basically need to do what the title says. I have my text file. I'm still pretty new at this. At the moment I know that: 1. wc -l file.txt To get the number of lines. 2. ls -lh file.txt To get the file size. But I need to divide both numbers. Then I need to save the output in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PainMaker101
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get script to create a new file that lists folder content sorted by size?

I have a script that sorts and processes unsorted files to newly created directories. Its working great, but I am trying to understand the leanest method to get the script to create an additional file within each newly created directory that: Contains a list of all files in the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies
mkfile(1M)																mkfile(1M)

NAME
mkfile - create a file SYNOPSIS
mkfile [-nv] size [g | k | b | m] filename... mkfile creates one or more files that are suitable for use as NFS-mounted swap areas, or as local swap areas. When a root user executes mkfile(), the sticky bit is set and the file is padded with zeros by default. When non-root users execute mkfile(), they must manually set the sticky bit using chmod(1). The default size is in bytes, but it can be flagged as gigabytes, kilobytes, blocks, or megabytes, with the g, k, b, or m suffixes, respectively. -n Create an empty filename. The size is noted, but disk blocks are not allocated until data is written to them. Files created with this option cannot be swapped over local UFS mounts. -v Verbose. Report the names and sizes of created files. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkfile when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ chmod(1), swap(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) 2 Feb 2001 mkfile(1M)