Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the position of a string and replace with another string Post 302278683 by bab123 on Wednesday 21st of January 2009 01:51:59 AM
Old 01-21-2009
Thanks for the reply
If know thw number of occurances of string I can replace the string
BUt if i want to know how many times the string appears?
What are the positions of string appearances?
Please suggest me

regards
bab123

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a position and print some string in the next and same position

I need a script for... how to find a position of column data and print some string in the next line and same position position should find based on *HEADER8* in text for ex: ord123 abs 123 987HEADER89 test234 ord124 abc 124 987HEADER88 test235 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found..The issue is the last... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position in samefile

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found in the same file..The... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
27 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in certain position in a string

Hello everyone this is my first post of many to come :) I am writing a script and in this script at one point i need to replace a character in a particular position in a string for example: in the string "mystery" i would need to replace the 3rd position to an "r" so the string becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snipaa
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string in the file and then replace another string after that position

Hi I am looking for a particular string in a file.If the string exists, then I want to replace another string with some other text.Once replaced, search for the same text after that character position in the file. :wall: E.g: Actual File content: Hello Name: Nitin Raj Welcome to Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in a specific position

I asked this before, but my problem got more complicated. Heres what I am trying to do: I'm trying to replace a string at a certain location with another string. Heres the file I'm trying to change: \E I want to replace the escape code at the 3rd line, 2nd column with this escape code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX find string in directory and filetype and replace string

Hi, Here's my dilemma. I need to replace the string Sept_2012 to Oct_2012 in all *config.py files within the current directory and below directories Is this possible? Also I am trying to find all instances of the string Sept_2012 within files in the current directory and below I have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pure_jax
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and its position in a line from another string

Hello guys, would you please help me with this? this is the line inside a file: first line Something Today YYDDPPSVXIPYYY0XXXOFFS00000000000? I'd like to find the position of string XXX from string PYYY In the example above XXX starts from 6th position from PYYY desired... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
4 Replies
wcswidth(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      wcswidth(3C)

NAME
wcswidth - number of column positions of a wide-character string SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> int wcswidth(const wchar_t *pwcs, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The wcswidth() function determines the number of column positions required for n wide-character codes (or fewer than n wide-character codes if a null wide-character code is encountered before n wide-character codes are exhausted) in the string pointed to by pwcs. RETURN VALUES
The wcswidth() function either returns 0 (if pwcs points to a null wide-character code), or returns the number of column positions to be occupied by the wide-character string pointed to by pwcs, or returns -1 (if any of the first n wide-character codes in the wide-character string pointed to by pwcs is not a printing wide-character code). ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
setlocale(3C), wcwidth(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Aug 2002 wcswidth(3C)