Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming random array index returning values not contained Post 302278561 by shamrock on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 03:46:41 PM
Old 01-20-2009
Post the entire code. You are missing the code listing for the random number generator KISS_RNG.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wh inode index starts from 1 unlike array index (0)

brothers why inode index starts from 1 unlike array inex which starts from 0 its a question from the design of unix operating system of maurice j.bach i need to know the answer urgently...someone help please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sql variable as array index

hi folks i am facing problom while trying to access sql variable as array index ina unix shell script....script goes as below.. #!/bin/ksh MAX=3 for elem in alpha beeta gaama do arr=$elem ((x=x+1)) Done SQL_SERVER='servername' /apps/sun5/utils/sqsh -S $SQL_SERVER -U user -P pwd -b -h... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheer157
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array index help

$ cat file.txt A|X|20 A|Y|20 A|X|30 A|Z|20 B|X|10 A|Y|40 Summing up $NF based on first 2 fields, $ awk -F "|" 'BEGIN {OFS="|"} { sum += $NF } END { for (f in sum) print f,sum } ' file.txt o/p: A|X|50 A|Y|60 A|Z|20 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwork72
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic index for array in while loop

Hi, I'm just trying to use a dynamic index for some array elements that I'm accessing within a loop. Specifically, I want to access an array at variable position $counter and then also at location $counter + 1 and $counter + 2 (the second and third array positions after it) but I keep getting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: weak_code-fu
0 Replies

6. Programming

FORTRAN -Returning index fir which values fall in a region

I have an 10 element array containing numbers, I want the start and end index in the array for which the values lie between DIST1 and DIST2. It is not working quite right. I also might want a value of 0 if I cannot find an index. V=(/10.0,20.0,30.0,40.0,50.0,60.0,70.0,80.0,90.0,100.0/) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiply values contained in 2 different files

Hi Everyone ! I have two files with the same configuration and I want to multiply corresponding values and write the result in a file. Let say 2 header lines and then lines of values (with not constant number of columns): more file1.txt --> BLABLABLA BLABLABLA 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 1 2 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Youm
7 Replies

8. Programming

Returning char array

I want to return a char array to the main() function, but its returning garbage value. #include<stdio.h> //#include<conio.h> #include<string.h> char* strtrmm(); int main() { char str1,c1; printf("\n Enter the string:"); gets(str1); //strtrmm(str1); printf("%s",strtrmm(str1));... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative array index question

I am trying to assign indexes to an associative array in a for loop but I have to use an eval command to make it work, this doesn't seem correct I don't have to do this with regular arrays For example, the following assignment fails without the eval command: #! /bin/bash read -d "\0" -a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of array by index value fails

Hello, I have a complicated situational find and replace that I wrote in bash because I didn't know how to do everything in awk. The code works but is very slow, as expected. To create my modified file, I am looping through an array that was populated earlier and making some replacements at... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
6 Replies
random(3M)																random(3M)

NAME
random(), srandom(), initstate(), setstate() - generate a pseudorandom number SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The and functions are random-number generators that have virtually the same calling sequence and initialization properties as the and func- tions, but produce sequences that are more random. The low 12 bits generated by the function go through a cyclic pattern, while all the bits generated by the function are usable. For example, produces a random binary value. The function uses a nonlinear additive feedback random-number generator employing a default state array size of 31 long integers to return successive pseudorandom numbers in the range from 0 to The period of this random-number generator is approximately 16 x The size of the state array determines the period of the random-number generator. Increasing the state array size increases the period. With 256 bytes of state information, the period of the random-number generator is greater than Like the function, the function produces by default a sequence of numbers that can be duplicated by calling the function with a value of 1 as the seed. The function initializes the current state array using the value of seed. The and functions handle restarting and changing random-number generators. The function allows a state array, pointed to by the state argument, to be initialized for future use. The size argument, which specifies the size in bytes of the state array, is used by the func- tion to decide how sophisticated a random-number generator to use; the larger the state array, the more random the numbers. Values for the amount of state information are 8, 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes. Amounts less than 8 bytes return a NULL pointer, while other amounts are rounded down to the nearest known value. The seed argument specifies a starting point for the random-number sequence and provides for restarting at the same point. The function returns a pointer to the previous state information array. Once a state has been initialized, the function allows switching between state arrays. The array defined by the state argument is used for further random-number generation until the function is called or the function is called again. The function returns a pointer to the pre- vious state array. After initialization, a state array can be restarted at a different point in one of two ways: The function can be used, with the desired seed, state array, and size of the array. The function, with the desired state, can be used, followed by the function with the desired seed. The advantage of using both of these functions is that the size of the state array does not have to be saved once it is initialized. RETURN VALUE
The function returns the generated pseudorandom number. The function returns no value. Upon successful completion, the and functions return a pointer to the previous state array. Otherwise, a NULL pointer is returned. ERRORS
If the function detects that the state information has been damaged, error messages are written to standard error. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
random(3M)