Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers saving command output to a variable Post 302278460 by joeyg on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 09:32:40 AM
Old 01-20-2009
Tools An alternate format you might be able to use

Code:
var1=$(command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output to a variable.

With cut -c 8-13 myfile, I am getting some numeric value. In my shell script I am trying to assign something like this, var=cut -c 8-13 myfile But at the time of execution I am getting -c is not found. If I dont assign, then script executes well. Can we not simply use the value from one... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable

Hi, I'm trying to assign the output of a command to a variable and then concat it with another string, however, it keeps overwriting the original string instead of adding on to the end of the string. Contents of test.txt --> This is a test var1="`head -n 1 test.txt`" echo $var1 (This is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oma04
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving output from awk into a perl variable

How would I pass awk output to a perl variable? For example, I want to save the value in the 4th column into the variable called test. My best guess is something as follow, but I am sure this isn't correct. $test = system("awk '/NUMBER/{print \$4}' $_"); (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

4. Programming

Command output into a variable

Hi, with this command: cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > name.txt I put the output of the port in a txt Is posible to do the same (or similar) in a var directly, inside a C program? cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > variable ? I have trying this withs pipes, but i dont know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daaran
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble saving variable

Hi, I have problems when you save a variable of a command. I have put the following line: CONEXION_BAGDAD = $ (grep-c "Please login with USER and PASS" $ LOG_FILE_BAGDAD) But I returned the following error: syntax error at line 67: `CONEXION_BAGDAD = $ 'unexpected Because it can happen?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danietepa
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a temporary output within a script

Good morning everyone, i am looking to know how to save the output of a command and reuse it again within a script i already tired this one but it didn't work TEMPDIR=/dir1/dir2 My_command> $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE rm $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE* it keeps saying "cannot write to a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving output from bash into a file

I am ssh to many servers to get some information... however sometimes the server is unreacheable and i am getting an error. I want to save that output to a file but I am not able to do so... I want to be able to save output of bash into a file.. so when I run this command on a script ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command is saving output as blank file

Hi, I am working on a script where I am adding adding colors to few of the info in the output. Now , after that is done , I see colour codes in log files which I don't want to see.:mad::mad::mad::mad: So , I tried using sed command in script as below which gives me o/p (new.log) as blank file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dream4649
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving Mod in a variable

Hello Experts, In one of my shell script, I've been trying to calculate mod and saving it in a variable, below is what I have tried but it isn't working. Any help appreciated!!! #!/bin/bash num1=4 num2=3 echo "Number one is $num1" echo "Number two is $num2" mod_final=$(( echo "num1%num2"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)