Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting any way to speed up calculations in bash script Post 302277196 by Corona688 on Thursday 15th of January 2009 03:40:15 PM
Old 01-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by npatwardhan
seemed like it was taking the difference but errored out..do i still need bc?
printf cannot subtract numbers for you, that's what bc is for.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-integer calculations in bash

I'm new at scripting but I thought I was getting pretty good at it. I've hit a snag. I try to use expr to compute a fraction say: expr 3 / 4, and I'm getting zero. I guess it's just truncating to the integer, in this case 0, but I need the decimal 0.75. What can I do to compute this value in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files

I have a large CSV files (e.g. 2 million records) and am hoping to do one of two things. I have been trying to use awk and sed but am a newbie and can't figure out how to get it to work. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated - I'm stuck trying to remove the colon and wildcards in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metronomadic
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculations in bash

HI i have following problem, i need to use split command to split files each should be cca 700 lines but i dont know how to inplement it in the scripts becasuse each time the origin file will be various size , any body got any idea cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script range calculations

Hi, I have data in the following form: AB001 10 AB002 9 AB003 9 etc AB200 5 What I need to do is sum up the second value according to groups of the first, i.e. AB001 to AB030 the total being X, AB031 to AB050 the total being Y etc (there are 5 AB ranges of different sizes). I'm sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Calculations using script!!

Hi all, Thanks in Advance , i am very new to programming part in script i think using some caluations+ sed command only we can do this process in script. for exampl: i have file in that one line is like this using sed i can replace the date and all but my requirement is The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Arithmetic calculations in Shell script

Hi, I need a help with arithmetic calculations in my script. I have two variables: a=17; b=1712 I want to perform ($a/$b)*100 with two decimals in the result. I tried with following: res=$((100*a/b)) res=`echo "scale=2; $a / $b" | bc` But I am not getting the decimal values.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculations in bash file

I have 2 numbers xmin = 0.369000018 xmax = 0.569000006 and want to calculate (xmax- xmin) / 5.0 I have tried using $(( )) but is always giving an error (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed up bash loop?

I am running the below bash loop on all the files of a specific type (highlighted in bold) in a directory. There are 4 awk commands that use the input files to search another and look for a match. The input files range from 27 - 259 and are a list of names. The file that is searched is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed up extraction od tar.bz2 files using bash

The below bash will untar each tar.bz2 folder in the directory, then remove the tar.bz2. Each of the tar.bz2 folders ranges from 40-75GB and currently takes ~2 hours to extract. Is there a way to speed up the extraction process? I am using a xeon processor with 12 cores. Thank you :). ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD