Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris configure solaris 10 mail to relay email alerts from SAN switch Post 302277086 by wibidee on Thursday 15th of January 2009 11:09:42 AM
Old 01-15-2009
configure solaris 10 mail to relay email alerts from SAN switch

I want to be able to use an account on a solaris 10 server, eg root@myhost

to act as a relay to forward mail to my domain account me@mycompany.com

The reason for this is to configure root@myhost as a mail relay on Brocade SAN switches - so that when a port goes bad i get an email alert.
The Brocade switch documentation is very vague (imho) on this ..but i've figured that if i configuire something root@myhost on the SAN switch i can configure mail/sendmail on myhost to forward traffic to my real domain email account.

I'm unsure of how to achieve this on the solaris 10 server mail configuration.

Hope this makes sense! My brain seems to glaze over when attempting to think about mail so help would be appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Email Alerts

Dear Network Masters, I want to know who brought up the concept of Email Alerts Feature. are their any RFC's on Email Alerts???? Please let me know. Thanks in Adv, meti (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokmeti
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to configure mail function on Solaris

Can some one please help to configure mails on Solaris. mail -s or mailx function don't work on the system. Commands do nothing. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
2 Replies

3. AIX

Migrating to new SAN switch

Good morning, I have 3 pSeries servers each with one internal boot VIOS and one boot-from-san VIOS... with numerous LPAR's running on top of them. My question is: We are currently connecting to our IBM DS subsystem via a Cisco MDS 2GBPS SAN switch, we have recently purchased a Cisco MDS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdiYUZER
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email Alerts

hi I am running so scripts that clean up empty folders on our servers once a week. I run from a cron. But what i would like to do is add a email notfication so i can be notified that it completed. The script is #Clean Empty Folders on Studio Share perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: treds
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to relay mail to mail server from Unix ?

Hi, I need to send email notifications from Unix/Linux box to users using mailx. In these Unix/Linux boxes mail is not configured however we are having mail server configured in our LAN. Could you please provide instructions to configure relay in these boxes so that we can relay our mails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ALOM Email Alerts

Hi I'm new to this forum and I was hoping you can help me with this strange activity. I have a Sol10 sun4u sparc SunFireV250 machine. Currently running ALOM 1.6.8 firmware. The following error was experienced on this machine: "Input power unavailable for PSU @ PS0" Reading the documention... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: La-Paloma78
0 Replies

8. Linux

Configure Postfix to relay to Exchange Server with NTLM authentication

Hello I have a shell script, which should send email, if any error occurred. This script is running in Red Hat Linux 4.6, and want to configure postfix so it can relay to an Exchange Server. The Authorization method of Exchange server, I guess is: 250-AUTH NTLM. So I have: Server A ( Red... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: viktor1985
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify second mail relay in Solaris?

Dears, I've configured Solaris (10) server to send mails to corporate mailboxes. Now I need to specify second relay, so if mailx will see that mail xxx@aaa.com it will send to 111.111.111.111 (aaa.com) and if it will see that mail belongs to bbb.com - xxx@bbb.com it will send to another IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
3 Replies

10. Hardware

Controlling Peripheral Relay/Switch with Scripts

Has anybody worked with writing scripts with peripheral devices such as relays and/or switches? For example, writing a script that activates/deactivates a relay switch to turn devices on and off. Or maybe writing a script that checks the status of a peripheral on/off switch to provide a remote... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
4 Replies
FORWARD(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							FORWARD(5)

NAME
forward -- mail forwarding instructions DESCRIPTION
The .forward file contains a list of mail addresses or programs that the user's mail should be redirected to. If the file is not present, then no mail forwarding will be done. Mail may also be forwarded as the standard input to a program by prefixing the line with the normal shell pipe symbol (|). If arguments are to be passed to the command, then the entire line should be enclosed in quotes. For security rea- sons, the .forward file must be owned by the user the mail is being sent to, or by root, and the user's shell must be listed in /etc/shells. For example, if a .forward file contained the following lines: nobody@FreeBSD.org "|/usr/bin/vacation nobody" Mail would be forwarded to <nobody@FreeBSD.org> and to the program /usr/bin/vacation with the single argument nobody. If a local user address is prefixed with a backslash character, mail is delivered directly to the user's mail spool file, bypassing further redirection. For example, if user chris had a .forward file containing the following lines: chris@otherhost chris One copy of mail would be forwarded to chris@otherhost and another copy would be retained as mail for local user chris. FILES
$HOME/.forward The user's forwarding instructions. SEE ALSO
aliases(5), mailaddr(7), sendmail(8) BSD
July 2, 1996 BSD