Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return code is "0" though the command fails. Post 302276791 by pbekal on Wednesday 14th of January 2009 02:58:52 PM
Old 01-14-2009
Return code is "0" though the command fails.

The return code is "0" though the command fails. How to get a return code of "1" for this command when it fails or modify the command to get the right return code?

On HP UNIX

#-------- SCRIPT ----
#!/bin/ksh
find /opt/oracle/oroem/product/10.2.0.4/rdbms/audit/ \( -name "*.aud" \) -mtime +1 -exec rm -f {} \;
echo "Return Error Code" $?

------------------OUTPUT-------------
> b.sh
rm: /opt/oracle/oroem/product/10.2.0.4/rdbms/audit/ora_12289.aud not removed. Permission denied
Return Error Code 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

#!/bin/sh script fails at StringA | tr "[x]" "[y]"

I need to take a string (stringA) check it for spaces and replace any spaces found with an equal (=) sign. This is not working. There are spaces between each component: $StringA | tr "" "" The error returned is: test: Specify a parameter with this command Can you help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

return code capturing for all commands connected by "|" ...

Hi, While I am using "|" to join multiple commands, I am not getting the return code when there is error in one of the commnads. Eg: b=`find /path/a*.out | xargs basename` if ; then echo "Error" fi if there is error while finding the file or getting the basename, the $? is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command 'rm -f -r "0yfOYy-0008Nq-2j-32233-K"' failed with return code 1 and error mes

I would like to know what means this error and how to fix it Command 'rm -f -r "0yfOYy-0008Nq-2j-32233-K"' failed with return code 1 and error message Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxbee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab -e command return "413"

I was trying to edit the crontab file for root. I had saved off the existing file for later recovery. When I typed crontab -e to edit, the system returned "413" and the cursor stopped blinking. Ctrl+c stopped that. I typed, in bash, "EDITOR=vi" (Enter). Then, "export EDITOR" (Enter). Then,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roadmanjim
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
aud(1m) 																   aud(1m)

NAME
aud - A dcecp object that manages the audit daemon on a DCE host SYNOPSIS
aud disable [remote_audit_daemon_name] aud enable [remote_audit_daemon_name] aud help [operation | -verbose] aud modify [remote_audit_daemon_name] {-change attribute_list | -attribute value} aud operations aud rewind [remote_audit_daemon_name] aud show [remote_audit_daemon_name] [-attributes] aud stop [remote_audit_daemon_name] ARGUMENTS
The name of the aud operation for which to display help information. By default, operations pertain to the local audit daemon. This argu- ment specifies the name or the binding of the remote audit daemon to operate on. The name syntax is as follows: /.../cellname/hosts/host- name/auditd A remote audit daemon can also be specified with a string binding for the remote host on which the audit daemon is running. Use a string binding such as the following: ncacn_ip_tcp:130.105.1.227[endpoint] Alternatively, you can specify the binding by using Tcl syntax such as the following: {ncacn_ip_tcp 130.105.1.227 1234} DESCRIPTION
The aud object represents the audit daemon (called auditd in the reference implementation) on a host. The daemon creates audit trails on a single host. Using this command, you can enable or disable a daemon, change how the daemon acts when the file system storage for its audit trail is full, and rewind an audit trail file. This command operates on the audit daemon named in the optional remote_audit_daemon_name argument. If the argument is not supplied, the command operates on the audit daemon named by the _s(aud) convenience variable. If the variable is not set, the command operates on the audit daemon on the local host. ATTRIBUTES
The audit trail storage strategy of the daemon. This attribute defines what the daemon does if the audit trail storage is full. Its pos- sible values are as follows: If the specified trail size limit is reached (the default is 2 MB), auditd saves the current trail file to a new file (this file has the same name as the original trail file, with the date and time appended). Then, auditd deletes the contents of the original trail file and continues auditing from the beginning of this file. This is the default value for stostrategy. The daemon overwrites the old audit trails. Specifies whether the audit daemon is accepting audit log requests. The values are enabled or disabled. The default is enabled. See the OSF DCE Administration Guide for more information about audit attributes. OPERATIONS
aud disable Disables an audit daemon. The syntax is as follows: aud disable [remote_audit_daemon_name] The disable operation disables the audit record logging service of an audit daemon and changes its state attribute to disabled. This oper- ation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have c (control) permission on the audit daemon's ACL, and you must be authenticated. Examples dcecp> aud disable dcecp> aud enable Enables an audit daemon. The syntax is as follows: aud enable [remote_audit_daemon_name] The enable operation enables the audit record logging service of an audit daemon and changes its state attribute to enabled. This opera- tion returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have c (control) permission on the audit daemon's ACL, and you must be authenticated. Examples dcecp> aud enable dcecp> aud help Returns help information about the aud object and its operations. The syntax is as follows: aud help [operation | -verbose] Options Displays information about the aud object. Used without an argument or option, the aud help command returns brief information about each aud operation. The optional operation argu- ment is the name of an operation about which you want detailed information. Alternatively, you can use the -verbose option for more detailed information about the aud object itself. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the aud help command. Examples dcecp> aud help disable Disables the audit daemon. enable Enables the audit daemon. modify Modifies the attributes of the audit daemon. rewind Rewinds the specified audit trail file to the beginning. show Returns the attributes of an audit daemon. stop Stops the audit daemon. help Prints a summary of command- line options. operations Returns a list of the valid operations for this command. dcecp> aud modify Changes the values of audit attributes. The syntax is as follows: aud modify [remote_audit_daemon_name] {-change attribute_list | -attribute value} Options As an alternative to using the -change option with an attribute list, you can specify individual attribute options by prepending a hyphen (-) to any attribute listed in the ATTRIBUTES section of this reference page. Allows you to specify attributes by using an attribute list rather than individual attribute options. The format of an attribute list is as follows: {{attribute value}...{attribute value}} The modify operation allows modification of the audit daemon attributes. It accepts the -change option which takes an attribute list as a value. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have c (control) permission on the audit daemon's ACL, and you must be authenticated. Examples dcecp> aud modify -change {{stostrategy wrap} {state enabled}} dcecp> aud modify -stostrategy wrap -state enabled dcecp> aud operations Returns a list of the operations supported by the aud object. The syntax is as follows: aud operations The list of available operations is in alphabetical order except for help and operations, which are listed last. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the aud operations command. Examples dcecp> aud operations disable enable modify rewind show stop help operations dcecp> aud rewind Rewinds the central audit trail file to the beginning. The syntax is as follows: aud rewind [remote_audit_daemon_name] The rewind operation by default operates on the central trail file. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have c (control) permission on the audit daemon's ACL, and you must be authenticated. Examples dcecp> aud rewind dcecp> aud show Returns the attribute list for the audit daemon. The syntax is as follows: aud show [remote_audit_daemon_name] [-attributes] Options Returns audit daemon attributes. The show operation returns the attribute list for the audit daemon. The attributes are returned in lexical order. The -attributes option is provided for consistency with other dcecp commands. It does not change the performance of the command. Privileges Required You must have r (read) permission on the audit daemon, and you must be authenticated. Examples dcecp> aud show {stostrategy wrap} {state enabled} dcecp> aud stop Stops the audit daemon. The syntax is as follows: aud stop [remote_audit_daemon_name] The stop operation stops the audit daemon process. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have c (control) permission on the audit daemon, and you must be authenticated. Examples dcecp> aud stop dcecp> RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: auditd(1m), dcecp(1m), dcecp_audevents(1m), dcecp_audfilter(1m), dcecp_audtrail(1m). Files: aud_audit_events(5), dts_audit_events(5), event_class(5), sec_audit_events(5). aud(1m)