Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to concatenate consecutive lines Post 302275679 by shivi707 on Monday 12th of January 2009 12:33:29 AM
Old 01-12-2009
Question How to concatenate consecutive lines

I have a few lines like --

feature 1,
subfeat 0,
type 3,
subtype 1,
value 0,
--
feature 1,
subfeat 0,
type 1,
subtype 1,
value 0,

I would like to concatenate the consecutive four lines so that the output is --

feature 1,subfeat 0,type 3,subtype 1,value 0,
feature 1,subfeat 0,type 1,subtype 1,value 0,

Can anyone suggest a way to do that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending Consecutive lines

Hi, I have a file containing a single field on every row. What I need is to append one on to the end of another, e.g. The input file looks like this: nnnnn mmmmmm nnnnn mmmmmm I need it to look like this: nnnnn mmmmmm nnnnn mmmmmm Any ideas would be much appreciated,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to merge two consecutive lines.

Hi All, I want to merge two consecutive lines. Currently the output is :--> crmplp1 cmis461 No Online cmis462 No Offline crmplp2 cmis462 No Online cmis463 No ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pank29
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate consecutive field values

Hi, I have a file like this A Bob A Sam A John B David C Paul C Sandra If the consecutive field values in column one is same, then concatenate the corresponding strings. So, I need an output like this, A Bob_Sam_John B David C Paul_Sandra I usually work with excel but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

look for two consecutive lines in all text files

How to get (a list of) all the text files in the current directory and subdirectories which has the following two consecutive lines: ctrl_end_date=2009 ctrl_process=EXPIRED OR ctrl_end_date=2010 ctrl_process=EXPIRED i.e. (ctrl_end_date=2009 OR ctrl_end_date=2010) AND ctrl_process=EXPIRED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertkao
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two non-consecutive lines

Hello - First post here. I need help combining two lines that are non-consecutive in a file. Using sed, awk or perl preferably. So the file looks as follows. Please note, the "Line#:" is there only for reference. The lines can only be distinguished by whether they have "start" or "done" in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munkee
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep couple of consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

Hello, I want to extract from a file like : 20120530025502914 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025502968 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502985 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502996 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503013 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503045 | RESPONSE | whatever I want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete 26 consecutive lines in a file

I have a text file that is about 90,000 lines long. How would I delete lines 64-89, 152-177, 240-265, 328-353... etc? The sections I would like to delete are 26 lines long and the number of lines between the sections I would like to delete is 62 lines. Thanks very much in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eliminate consecutive lines with the same pattern

Hi, I would like to know how to remove lines which has the same pattern as the next line through sed/awk. Stream 39 (wan stream 7) Stream 40 (wan stream 8) WINQ Counter 115955 1 1613 (BYTE) 11204787 163 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarn_nat
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep three consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

say we have : 2914 | REQUEST | whatever 2914 | RESPONSE | whatever 2914 | SUCCESS | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2986 | REQUEST | whatever 2990 | REQUEST | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2996 | REQUEST | whatever 2010 | SUCCESS | whatever 2013 | REQUEST | whatever 2013 |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saumitra Pandey
7 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)