Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use and meaning of $*
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Use and meaning of $* Post 302274993 by sinpeak on Friday 9th of January 2009 12:01:39 AM
Old 01-09-2009
Use and meaning of $*

Can someone explain the use and meaning of "$*" expression.
sinpeak

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the meaning here?

#!/bin/sh $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -S $orauserid/$orapasswd@$oradb << _TMP alter session set nls_date_format = 'YYYYMMDD HH24:MI'; set linesize 100 set pagesize 400 ok the above is part of a script..i just wanna know what does sqlplus -S means?? as in why we need to insert the -S behind? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. AIX

meaning of ${0%${0##*/}}

. ${0%${0##*/}}Script_Name if i issue this command, it is executing the script. can any one tell what is the meaning of ${0%${0##*/}} (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nyelavarthy
7 Replies

3. Linux

What are the meaning of these macros..

Masters, I am trying to learn the serial mouse driver for linux kernel. On the kernel source tree I find out these macros and I am unable to find out the meaning of these macros. Please anyone help me to understand these. These macros are defined in linux/serio.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of $_

Hi, Can somebody tell the usage of "$_" cd $_ ? and ls $_ ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

^$$ meaning

Hi , Can anyone please let me know whta the follwoing piece of code for ScriptName=${0##*/} if pgrep -f "$ScriptName" | grep -v "^$$\$" ; then echo `date`": Sctipt $ScritName is already runnig" exit fi Thnx a lot in advance Please use code tags when posting data and code... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)