Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NTP 4.2.4p6 (Stable branch)
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Software Releases - RSS News NTP 4.2.4p6 (Stable branch) Post 302274839 by Linux Bot on Thursday 8th of January 2009 01:10:04 PM
Old 01-08-2009
NTP 4.2.4p6 (Stable branch)

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used to synchronize the time of a computer client or server to another server or reference time source, such as a radio or satellite receiver or modem. It provides client accuracies typically within a millisecond on LANs and up to a few tens of milliseconds on WANs relative to a primary server synchronized to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) via a Global Positioning Service (GPS) receiver, for example. License: OSI Approved Changes:
This release fixes oCERT.org's CVE-2009-0021, a vulnerability affecting the OpenSSL library relating to the incorrect checking of the return value of EVP_VerifyFinal function. Credit for finding this issue goes to the Google Security Team for finding the original issue with OpenSSL, and to ocert.org for finding the problem in NTP and telling us about it. This is a recommended upgrade. Image

More...

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change io logging directory sudo 1.7.4p6

There was an update in sudo 1.7.5 : -The I/O log directory may now be specified in the sudoers file. I am stuck using sudo 1.7.4p6. Because it is supported by HP on thier HP-UX builds. Is there a process to change this directory in sudo 1.7.4p6? currently sudo 1.7.4p6's default is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trimike
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
ntp.drift(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      ntp.drift(4)

NAME
ntp.drift - Network Time Protocol (NTP) drift file DESCRIPTION
When the NTP daemon (xntpd) is first started, it computes the error in the intrinsic frequency of the clock on the computer it is running on. This process usually takes about a day or two after the daemon is started to compute a good estimate of this (and it needs a good estimate to synchronize closely to its server). Once the initial value is computed, it will change only by relatively small amounts during the course of continued operation. The driftfile declaration should always be included in the ntp.conf file. This provides xntpd with complete path name to a file in which it can store the current value of the frequency error. That way, if the daemon is stopped and restarted, it can reinitialize itself to the previous estimate without spending time recomputing the frequency estimate. The ntp.drift file contains one line with the following format: freq_offset flag Specifies the nominal frequency offset. DO NOT modify this field. Specifies the method used to improve system clock accuracy. Specifies that xntpd runs a Phase-Locked Loop (PLL) algorithm to keep synchronized with other hosts. This is the default. Specifies the use of the PLL algorithm in the kernel. This requires the NTP_TIME kernel option. After the option is configured in the kernel, edit the ntp.drift file and change the flag value to 1. See System Administration for information on the NTP_TIME kernel option. FILES
Conventional name of the drift file RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ntpdate(8), ntpq(8), xntpd(8), xntpdc(8) Files: ntp.conf(4) Network Administration, System Administration delim off ntp.drift(4)