Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reversing file order using SED Post 302274313 by sharadpisal on Wednesday 7th of January 2009 09:10:40 AM
Old 01-07-2009
Like cat, there is command named 'tac' which works same as that cat, except it reverse the order.
ur script can be like:

tac f1 > f1.tmp
mv f1.tmp f1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed and regex to reverse order???

so i have been trying to learn how to manipulate text on my own and have gotten stumped... let's say i have a text file that says (highly simplified): people ordinary How would swap the order of the words.. I know i need to use sed and some kind of back reference but cannot make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urtherhoda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

output string in reversing order

If I have string { I_love_shell_scripts} anyone knows how to have output {stpircs_llehs_evol_I} by using shell and perl ?I know in perl, there is reverse() funcation, but can it be done by not using reverse()? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the order using sed

I have a text "abc def ghi" and I want to get it as "def abc ghi" I am using this echo "abc def ghi" | sed 's/\(*\)\(*\)/\2\1/' But I am not able to get the output, could anyone help me. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing a line

Hi, I could not find this anywhere and I am wondering if someone knows a quick way of doing this. So heres the problem... I have a row that looks like this (an example): 5 4 3 2 1 What I want to do is reverse it so it looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 Does anyone know the simple unix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to order a file

Hi - I have a file with lots of lines in that I need to order based on the number of commas! e.g the file looks something like :- cn=john,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com cn=john,cn=users,dc=com cn=users,cn=groups,dc=com cn=john,cn=admins,cn=users,cn=uk,dc=dot,dc=com... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing line and word order using awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I was wandering if I could reverse line and word order from a text file using awk. I figured out how to do them both separately, but can't quite figure out how to mix them. Example: Input file: dog cat mouse 1 2 3 I am new to awk Output of the awk program:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blink_w
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing text order of each line of a file in UNIX

My input is: hello how are you my chemistry book is lost what is up etc... And I want the output to be: you are how hello lost is book chemistry my up is what .... I found an earlier response to a similar question but it was not accurate as it required a certain string length for each line (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed string with any order

Hi, i have a strange prob. log file contains ip, protocol, user name, agent . these can be in any order. If log contains the above order able to fetch all details but if details are in diff order not able to fetch all details. using below command. grep -A50 "Entry " "/logs/file.log" \ |grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - searching token in certain order

Hello. I would like to write a bash function which would return "true" if the search succeed else return anything else. something like if ] ; then exit 1 fi function my_funct () { find first occurrence $2 in $1 if not found return "false" from that position,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies
TAC(1)								   User Commands							    TAC(1)

NAME
tac - concatenate and print files in reverse SYNOPSIS
tac [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, last line first. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --before attach the separator before instead of after -r, --regex interpret the separator as a regular expression -s, --separator=STRING use STRING as the separator instead of newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tac translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Jay Lepreau and David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rev(1) The full documentation for tac is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tac programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'tac invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 TAC(1)