Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell problem for root
Operating Systems Solaris shell problem for root Post 302273973 by jlliagre on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 10:33:58 AM
Old 01-06-2009
/home is a directory used by the automounter to mount the real home directories either remotely from an NFS home server or locally if there is no need to share the home between machines. /export as its name suggests is meant to be shared on the network.

If you use a standalone configuration, you might disable the automounter by commenting out the /home line in /etc/auto_master and then use /home directly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Login Problem

I have Sun Netra X1 Server which is headless means no CDROM, no terminal etc. I am connected it through serial port. Accidently, someone in our department changed the root's default shell to /sbin/tcsh while there is no tcsh in /sbin and he logs off. Now, I am trying to logon as root on system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with X11 Root Window

At school, on an HP-UX or B.11.11 U 9000/785 system, my X11 root window is always set to 8-bit color, but all the child windows are 24-bit. The problem with this, is any background/wallpaper looks extremely ugly with the 8-bit color. Is there any way to make X starts with 24-bit color root window?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljfong
0 Replies

3. Linux

root mailbox problem

Hi, I have a linux box which works as an smtp server. Past few months I am facing a problem, all the mails which my local lan users send to the outside world, all such mail gets bounced to root's mailbox. Also I have found that the mails which get bounced to the root's mailbox are mostly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
3 Replies

4. Solaris

problem with root password

I have 3 servers all running solaris 9 using ssh I changed the root passwd on all 3 a few months ago. I cannot log in as root currently as it wont accept password. I try to su from another user to root - when I type the password that I know to be correct it rejects the password immediately... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

5. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

problem in logging into root

when i am trying to login through root i am getting following error Last successful login for root: Tue Feb 3 16:44:40 IST-5:30 2009 on pts/tc Last unsuccessful login for root: Tue Feb 3 16:41:01 IST-5:30 2009 on pts/tc Please wait...checking for disk quotas crt0: ERROR couldn't open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmca
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Fedroa 14 root and wi-fi problem.

I am using Fedora 14. I got two problems after installation: 1) After installation when I tried login through root it said bad authentication failure. After login through restricted user I tried to test su in terminal which worked with same password. 2) It doesn't have any wireless firmware... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem with root login

Hi, we have instaled Solaris 10 on a SUN V490, installation went okay but now when I type “root” and press return it comes back with the “Login incorrect” without ever asking for a password... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Big problem: shell entry in /etc/passwd corrupted for user root

did a big mistake, changing root entry of /etc/passwd to root:x:0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/tmux split-window -v \; attach as expected, now I can't login as root anymore. sudo ed /etc/passwd etc. doesn't work. Any idea? Use code tags to increase readability and follow the rules. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodona
4 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)