Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming why printf() function don't go work? Post 302273535 by otheus on Monday 5th of January 2009 04:13:34 AM
Old 01-05-2009
I'm not sure ( I didn't look closely at the code), but calling an IO function while handling an IO signal might be a problem. Also, when printing within signals, it's a good idea to call flush().

Also, why would you expect the program to call SIGHUP on itself when exiting? That's only the case if you're connected to a TTY which is closed on you.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How come sigs don't work?

They appear to be turned on, I entered mine in. The check boxes are all checked. And yet, no sigs? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l008com
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Things in tutorials that don't work.

I am thankful for this site and for the many links provided. I have been going through one of the tutorials, but as I try some things, they don't seem to work. I am wondering if there is something I need first before being able to use a tutorial (like version number (HP-UX) or how I am getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arungavali
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use variable in sed don't work.

Hi all. I have a script as below: cutmth=`TZ=CST+2160 date +%b` export cutmth echo $cutmth >> date.log sed -n "/$cutmth/$p" alert_sbdev1.log > alert_summ.log My purpose is to run through the alert_sbdev1.log and find the 1st occurence of 'Jan' and send everything after that line to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
4 Replies

4. Programming

why daytime don't work?

Following code is detecting solaris daytime,when I run it,I can't get any result,code is follows: #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define BUFFSIZE 150 int main(){ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
2 Replies

5. Programming

why printf don't work?

I use Solaris 10, I use following code: #include <signal.h> int main(void){ printf("----------testing-----------"); if(signal(SIGUSR1,sig_usr)==SIG_ERR) err_sys("can't catch SIGUSR1"); for(;;) pause(); sig_user(int signo){ ..... } when I run above code,it print nothing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
3 Replies

6. Programming

Internals of the printf function?

hey all, im a new programmer. i was wondering how you would go about writing the printf function yourself? it is my understanding that when you call printf you are calling an already written function and just providing an argument? if this is the case, is it possible to write that function... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Christian.B
8 Replies

7. HP-UX

awk don't work in hp-ux 11.11

Hello all! I have problem in hp-ux 11.11 in awk I want to grep sar -d 2 1 only 3 column, but have error in awk in hp-ux 11.11 Example: #echo 123 234 | awk '{print $2}' 123 234 The situattions in commands bdf | awk {print $5}' some... In hp-ux 11.31 - OK! How resolve problem (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ostapv
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printf function

#include<stdio.h> int counter; int fibonacci(int n) { counter += 1; if ( n <= 2 ) return 1; else return fibonacci(n-1) + fibonacci(n-2); } int main(void) { int i; int sum ; for( i = 1 ; i<= 10; i++) { counter = 0; sum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vincent__tse
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalence classes don't work

Hello: I can't get equivalence classes to work in globs or when passing them to tr. If I understood correctly, matches e, é, è, ê, etc. But when using them with utilities like tr they don't work. Here's an example found in the POSIX standard: I decided to create the aforementioned files in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
9 Replies
SIGNAL(2)							System Calls Manual							 SIGNAL(2)

NAME
signal - catch or ignore signals SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> (*signal(sig, func))() (*func)(); DESCRIPTION
A signal is generated by some abnormal event, initiated either by user at a typewriter (quit, interrupt), by a program error (bus error, etc.), or by request of another program (kill). Normally all signals cause termination of the receiving process, but a signal call allows them either to be ignored or to cause an interrupt to a specified location. Here is the list of signals with names as in the include file. SIGHUP 1 hangup SIGINT 2 interrupt SIGQUIT 3* quit SIGILL 4* illegal instruction (not reset when caught) SIGTRAP 5* trace trap (not reset when caught) SIGIOT 6* IOT instruction SIGEMT 7* EMT instruction SIGFPE 8* floating point exception SIGKILL 9 kill (cannot be caught or ignored) SIGBUS 10* bus error SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation SIGSYS 12* bad argument to system call SIGPIPE 13 write on a pipe or link with no one to read it SIGALRM 14 alarm clock SIGTERM 15 software termination signal 16 unassigned The starred signals in the list above cause a core image if not caught or ignored. If func is SIG_DFL, the default action for signal sig is reinstated; this default is termination, sometimes with a core image. If func is SIG_IGN the signal is ignored. Otherwise when the signal occurs func will be called with the signal number as argument. A return from the function will continue the process at the point it was interrupted. Except as indicated, a signal is reset to SIG_DFL after being caught. Thus if it is desired to catch every such signal, the catching routine must issue another signal call. When a caught signal occurs during certain system calls, the call terminates prematurely. In particular this can occur during a read or write(2) on a slow device (like a typewriter; but not a file); and during pause or wait(2). When such a signal occurs, the saved user sta- tus is arranged in such a way that when return from the signal-catching takes place, it will appear that the system call returned an error status. The user's program may then, if it wishes, re-execute the call. The value of signal is the previous (or initial) value of func for the particular signal. After a fork(2) the child inherits all signals. Exec(2) resets all caught signals to default action. SEE ALSO
kill(1), kill(2), ptrace(2), setjmp(3) DIAGNOSTICS
The value (int)-1 is returned if the given signal is out of range. BUGS
If a repeated signal arrives before the last one can be reset, there is no chance to catch it. The type specification of the routine and its func argument are problematical. ASSEMBLER
(signal = 48.) sys signal; sig; label (old label in r0) If label is 0, default action is reinstated. If label is odd, the signal is ignored. Any other even label specifies an address in the process where an interrupt is simulated. An RTI or RTT instruction will return from the interrupt. SIGNAL(2)