Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding unix file system
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding unix file system Post 302273038 by dmarques on Friday 2nd of January 2009 10:48:29 AM
Old 01-02-2009
Finding unix file system

Hi,

I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data.
I don't really know what file system is on the disk.
How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the data?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system

Hi, How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system ? Using sendmail. Please help me. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacca
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding a file in Unix

Hi Guys I'm trying to look for a file in Unix but I do not know which path or directory it may be located in. Does anyone know the command to search and display the directory of a certain file? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: handynas
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

4. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out which file system a machine has

Hi, when I run sfdisk -l get: Disk /dev/sda: 19452 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0 Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System /dev/sda1 * 0+ 12 13- 104391 83 Linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Finding most busy file system

Hi Experts, I was asked to find most busy file system on one of the server. It is Sun 10. Any idea to get this? Thanks, Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

a comand finding all files from unix system

Hi, I am new in using unix systems and I need your help. I would like to make a command that prints all files (not directories) from a file system. These files must be executable from all users (--x --x --x) Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX FILE SYSTEM

Dear All, We are using COMPAQ DS -10 machines with UNIX 4.0F System is behaving abnormal some directories shows full and they should not be . here is df -k output of a machines file system----1024 block-----used--available--capacity--mounted on /dev/rz17h-----8680793----- 1 --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.jahangir
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file system to Linux file system migration

We would be migrating UNIX file system to Linux file system. We do have many directory and sub directories with files. after migrating unix to linux file system , i want to make sure all the files has been copied ? What would be the best approach to validate directory ,sub-directory and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding processes on another system that have a file open

I am familiar with using "lsof <filename>" or "fuser <filename>" to determine what process has a given file (usually a .nfs) open. However, I recently used this command and it returned a blank list. I suspect the process that has the .nfs file open might be on another system. Is there a way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special_K
2 Replies
hdio(7I)                                                          Ioctl Requests                                                          hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)