Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting substring from a file name Post 302272336 by manas_ranjan on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 09:40:07 AM
Old 12-30-2008
try this out

HTML Code:
t1=`basename $0 .txt`
t2=${t1}_1.txt
echo "new file name:-${t2}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring from a string in unix

Hi, I would like to extract a substring from a string in unix. eg: ./checkfile.sh -- i need only checkfile.sh from this string. Could someone help me out in this... Regards Arun (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring

Hi, I have string in variable like '/u/dolfin/in/DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010' and i want to conevrt this string into only "DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010" (i.e file name). Is there any command to extracting string in some part ?(rather than whole path)? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting substring between pattern only one time

Hello ifconfig return : eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 11:24:1D:C1:99:BA inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:37307 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in extracting the substring in UNIX

Hi all, I need to extract the "abcdef" from the below string Digital_abcdef_20130103.txt.gz The length of the "abcdef" will be changing but it will be always after the word Digital_ and before the second underscore help in this regard is highly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithushri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting a substring from the input string

Hi, I am new to Unix. I am trying to extract a substring from an input string: Ex - input string: deploy_v11_9_1 i want to extract and store the value v11_9_1 from the input string in a new variable. I am using following command in my shell script file: echo "Enter the folder name u... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Extracting whole word containing substring

hello. I get this text when using some command : S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository --+-----------------+---------+---------+------+------------- | AdobeReader_enu | package | 9.5.4-1 | i486 | zypper_local I need to get "AdobeReader_enu" from the the pattern "Ado"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring from Line

Hi All I have a line which is as below 1234567 Gagan Paswani zz23432 1000000000 1000000000 ASTHEYXX-RTUC zz23432 I need to extract the first occurence of zz23432 which will have the reg expression as {2}{5} Could you please assist as to how I can extract this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from variable

Hi All, I'm facing issue wherein I have 2 character string like 'CR' and 'DR' and I want to extract just 1st character but am unable to do it. I tried below options but they are returning me 2nd character only, var="CR" echo ${var:1} returns just "R" echo ${var:0} returns "CR" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
5 Replies
pdbtxt2html(1)						      General Commands Manual						    pdbtxt2html(1)

NAME
pdbtxt2html - Doc Text to HTML converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
pdbtxt2html [ -t ] file.txt [ file.html ] pdbtxt2html -v DESCRIPTION
pdbtxt2html converts text converted from a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1) to HTML. If no HTML filename is given, the generated HTML is sent to standard output. Document Title The first line of the file is used for the HTML document title. Bookmarks The last line of the file is examined and, if it contains a string enclosed between < and >, that is taken to be the bookmark marker. The entire file is then scanned looking for lines beginning with it (ignoring leading whitespace). These lines are converted to HTML headings. The number of whitespace characters after the first bookmark marker is used for heading level 1. The level of subsequent headings is set to the number of whitespace characters between the bookmark marker and the bookmark text minus the number for the first bookmark plus one. Embedded URLs Valid URLs (according to RFC 1630) embedded in the text are turned into hyperlinks. The ftp, gopher, http, https, mailto, news, telnet, and wais URLs are recognized. OPTIONS
-t Compile a table of contents and insert it between the first heading and the body. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert a Doc file to HTML: txt2pdbdoc alice.pdb alice.txt pdbtxt2html alice.txt alice.html SEE ALSO
html2pdbtxt(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) Tim Berners Lee. Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW, Network Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force, June 1994. http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1630.txt AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> txt2pdbdoc January 21, 2005 pdbtxt2html(1)