Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo how to edit linux system files? Post 302272223 by pludi on Tuesday 30th of December 2008 02:21:06 AM
Old 12-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragster93
i juz wanna explore linux and learn how it was made......
and wat possible collection of languages might have been used!!!!

thnx anywayz 4 breakin it down to me real straight......
Explore Linux: Grab a copy of any distribution that appeals to you, install it and explore to your hearts desire.
What languages have been used: For the kernel, almost exclusively C and Assembler (as far as I know). Almost all of the system libraries are written in C, too, with a few in C++. As for the rest it's a healthy mix of almost every language out there.

And I too want to remind you of the Rules, specifically Rule 9, which you agreed to when registering.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit Multiple Files in VI

Here's what I have... $ vi foo1 - open foo1 and work around for a while. I yank a few lines into a buffer and then :w to save. Next I :e foo2 to open foo2 and paste my buffer. I :w to save, but I would like to then be able to go directly back into foo1 where I was before I opened foo2. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

RTF files can they be converted once they are on linux system

:D mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt my dillemma is simple i have psion 5 mx wich is an epoc type machine not only does it only work on windows as far as I know but I have to convert the files (the usual stuff!) sometimes a humen error happens and the files that I want to transfer to the linux drive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit _config files

Hi, I am trying to edit sshd_config file through the vi editor. logged on as a root. when I try to write the file I get: Read-only file, not written; use ! to override when i type :w!, I get: Error: etc/ssh/sshd_config Permission denied. I want to change: #PermitRootLogin no to yes freeBDS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emosms
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How files can be transferred from one system to another securely using Linux?

i need to know how files can be transfered from one system to another securely in linux. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibing
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit .profile to connect to Oracle- Linux 2.6.9-89

Hi, I want to connect to sqlplus through unix. I got the command to do it. But I was getting error: ./executeSQL.ksh: sqlplus: not found Then when I googled I found that we have to include Oracle Client path in .profile file. I don't know how to do it. Also I don't have permissions to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

8. AIX

Accessing files on AIX system from Linux system

I have a following requirement in production system 1 : LINUX User: abcd system 2: AIX (it is hosting a production DB) Requirement user abcd from system 1 should have read access on archive log files created by DB on system 2. The log files are created with permissions 540 by user ora ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitnm1106
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip and edit many files

Experts - I have an requirement to gunzip and edit many files in a pair of directories. I have two scripts that work great when run separately, but I'm having problems combining the two. The goal is to gunzip the files found in the first script and pipe them to the bash/sed script and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
9 Replies
SWAC-GET(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SWAC-GET(1)

NAME
swac-get - audio collections of words (SWAC) manager SYNOPSIS
swac-get [-t] [clear] [update] | [upgrade] | [select <url|packid>] | [deselect <url|packid>] | [list] | [list-sources] | [list-available] | [sql <query>] | [--help] | [--version] DESCRIPTION
Swac-get is a simple command line program which allows to download and install audio collections of words (SWAC) in a SQLite3 database. Audio collections can be imported from the hard drive or directly from the Internet using the HTTP protocol. Swac-get is designed to be used with swac-explore, a GTK+ interface which allows the browsing of the created SQLite3 database. An important set of free audio collec- tions of words (SWAC) is available at: http://swac-collections.org/ For more information, please, visit the Shtooka Project homepage at: http://shtooka.net/ . COMMANDS
clear clear database deselect <url|packid> delete records of the package <url|packid> from the database list list installed packages list-available list available packages list-sources list source repositories sql <query> execute a sql query in the database select <url|packid> insert records of the package <url|packid> in the database ex: swac-get select file:///home/<my directory>/ swac-get select http://packs.shtooka.net/<my package>/ogg/ swac-get select fra-balm-voc select source-delete <url> delete <url> from the repositories list source-deselect <url> deselect <url> from the repositories list source-select <url> add <url> to the repositories list ex: swac-get source-select http://packs.shtooka.net/ swac-get source-select file:///home/<my directory>/ update update the list of available packages upgrade upgrade installed packages OPTIONS
-t, --target <path> set the SQLite3 database path (default path is ~/.swac/swac.db) -v, --version print version information and exit -h, --help print this help and exit EXAMPLES
swac-get source-select http://packs.shtooka.net/ swac-get update swac-get select chi-balm-hsk1 swac-get select fra-balm-voc BUGS
swac-get doesn't care about the version number for the upgrade command. AUTHOR
swac-get and this manual page were written by Nicolas Vion <nico@picapo.net>. mai 25, 2008 SWAC-GET(1)