Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kill the running program
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill the running program Post 302271527 by matrixmadhan on Friday 26th of December 2008 06:48:00 AM
Old 12-26-2008
Here is an example to trap INT signal ( Ctrl - C )

Code:
signal()
{
  echo "-- signal() --"
  echo "sleeping"
  sleep 1
  exit
}

trap signal INT

while :
do
  echo "here"
  sleep 1
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C program to kill root processes

Hello, First let me start by saying I have searched the forum and read all the SUID stuff but it is not in the neighborhood I am looking for. Here is the problem. We want to grant a non super-user permission to kill root processes but only if the process matches certain criteria. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
8 Replies

2. Programming

kill textrdit program

Dear All: I use sun OS system and write a code in c as folloing purpose kill textedit program,but i get some error please give me a great help Thanks. #include <stdlib.h> int main() { const char cTestPrag=" kill -9 `ps -ef | grep textedit | grep -v "grep"| awk '{print $2}'| xargs` "; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeter
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple instances of the same program

Hi, I know that the answer to this is very simple, since I saw somebody do it some time back..but I forgot how. The problem is, I have multiple instances of the same program running simultaneously and I want to kill them all in a single command. I know that it can be done using awk '{print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipzig
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to kill a program via help command.

Hi all, I have a program and I'm trying to kill it. I'm probably going the longest way around of doing it but now that I've tried to get this to work for a few hours I'd appreciate some help :) So the program has an infinite loop which keeps it going, as of right now I just simply if exit then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

See if process is running and kill it

I need a simple line to run from apple remote desktop's Unix terminal on multiple different machines to see if Microsoft Entourage is running and kill it.. I imagine this could be done with a ps auxwww and grab the second field, (PID) put it into a variable and do a kill $variable using awk, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill shell script when host program not running/disk unmounted

I have my Mac OS X program executing a shell script (a script that copies files to a drive). I want to make it so that the shell script automatically kills itself if it finds that the host .app is not running OR kill itself if the drive that it is copying files to has been unmounted. Right now what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Kill snoops running in background

Hi, I want to run 2 snoop commands in the background and would like to be able to kill them when I want to. What is the best way to do that at the command line? if I do a fg at the terminal, will that bring only the snoop that I got running myself so I stop them with a CTRL_C or will that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill a running program?

Hello i'm trying to make a program which can find a running program on the system and kill it, then repeat that every 5 minutes. The name of the process is given with an argument. I have done this so far, but still not working. if $1 in $(ps -e) ; then kill $(pidof $1) sleep 5m fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petel1
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill a program from bash

to kill a program in bash, for instance 'mousepad' I use kill $(pidof mousepad); or pkill mousepad But it only works if we use another bash window; If it is started from the same bash, that does not work: #mousepad;kill $(pidof mousepad); In this case, it looks like mousepad hangs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to know all the Current running process and how to kill

All, 1.What is the unix comand used for all current running process (Including All current running processes Parent ->child->subchild process) 2.If child and subchild processes are running then what is the unix command to kill parent and its all child subchild processes in UNIX. Kindly... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
7 Replies
SLEEP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  SLEEP(3)

NAME
sleep - sleep for the specified number of seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
sleep() makes the calling thread sleep until seconds seconds have elapsed or a signal arrives which is not ignored. RETURN VALUE
Zero if the requested time has elapsed, or the number of seconds left to sleep, if the call was interrupted by a signal handler. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. BUGS
sleep() may be implemented using SIGALRM; mixing calls to alarm(2) and sleep() is a bad idea. Using longjmp(3) from a signal handler or modifying the handling of SIGALRM while sleeping will cause undefined results. SEE ALSO
alarm(2), nanosleep(2), signal(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-02-03 SLEEP(3)