Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file Post 302269903 by zaxxon on Friday 19th of December 2008 03:10:45 AM
Old 12-19-2008
Code:
while read LINE; do
   printf "%s                 \n" "`echo "$LINE"| tr -s '\t' ' '`"
done < infile > outfile

Check the spaces inside vi with ":set list" maybe.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert delimited to fixed length

Hi, I have to change a tab delimited file to a fixed length file. For text fields I need to left justify and NULL fill to the right and for number fields I need to right justify and zero fill to the left. If there are spaces between words in a text field I need to keep them as spaces. I am using... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelson553011
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert XML file into Text file(fixed length)

If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert xml into text file(fixed length) using Unix Borne shell scripts. My xml file: <root> <header_rec recordtype="00"> <record_id>00</record_id> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert Fixed length file to delimited file.

I have below fixed lenth file . I have to convert this to delimitted file. File1.txtE116005/29/19930E001E000 E12201/23/19940E001E003 E10406/4/19940E001E003 I want to convert this to : E116,0,05/29/1993,0,E001,E000 E122,0,1/23/1994,0,E001,E003 E104,0,6/4/1994,0,E001,E003 I have a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert fixed length file to CSV

Newbie Looking for a script to convert my input file to delimited text file. Not familier with AWK or shell programing. Below is sample record in my input file and the expected output format. My OS is HPUX 11.23. Thanks in advance for your assistance. tbtbs input file:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtbs
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting fixed length file to delimited file

hi , i need to convert fixed length file to delimited file using unix where length of each column is variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishithinfy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed length to delimited file conversion

Hi All, I need to convert a fixed length file to a delimited file with , (comma). But not all columns, some of the columns in the fixed files are used as fillers and I do not need that in the output file. test_fixed_len.txt I 0515 MR 394 I 0618 MR & MRS 942 I 0618 MR & MRS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
newform(1)						      General Commands Manual							newform(1)

NAME
newform - change or reformat a text file SYNOPSIS
[file]... DESCRIPTION
reads lines from the named files, or standard input if no input file is named, and reproduces the lines on standard output. Lines are reformatted in accordance with command line options in effect. Command line options can appear in any order, can be repeated, and can be intermingled with the optional files. Command line options are processed in the order specified. This means that option sequences such as yield results different from Options are applied to all files on the command line. Options recognizes the following options: Same as except characters are appended to the end of a line. Truncate n characters from the beginning of the line when the line length is greater than the effective line length (see The default is to truncate the number of characters necessary to obtain the effective line length. The default value is used when with no n is used. This option can be used to delete the sequence numbers from a COBOL program as follows: The must be used to set the effective line length shorter than any existing line in the file so that the option is activated. Change the prefix/append character to k. The default character for k is a space. Same as except that characters are truncated from the end of the line. Write the tab specification format line on the standard output before any other lines are output. The tab specification format line which is printed will correspond to the format specified in the option. If no option is specified, the line which is printed contains the default specification of Input tab specification: expands tabs to spaces, according to the tab specifications given. The tabspec recognizes all tab specification forms described in tabs(1). In addition, tabspec can be in which assumes that the tab specification is to be found in the first line read from the standard input (see fspec(4)). If no tabspec is given, tabspec defaults to A tabspec of expects no tabs; if any are found, they are treated as Set the effective line length to n characters. If n is not entered, defaults to 72. The default line length without the option is 80 characters. Note that tabs and backspaces are treated as single characters (use to expand tabs to spaces). Output tab specification: replaces spaces with tabs, according to the tab specifications given. The tab specifications are the same as for If no tabspec is given, tabspec defaults to A tabspec of means that no spaces will be converted to tabs on output. Prefix n characters (see to the beginning of a line when the line length is less than the effective line length. The default is to prefix the number of characters necessary to obtain the effective line length. Shear off leading characters on each line up to the first tab and place up to 8 of the sheared characters at the end of the line. If more than 8 characters (not counting the first tab) are sheared, the eighth character is replaced by a and any characters to the right of it are discarded. The first tab is always discarded. An error message and program exit occur if this option is used on a file without a tab on each line. The characters sheared off are saved internally until all other options specified are applied to that line. The characters are then added at the end of the processed line. For example, to convert a file with leading digits, one or more tabs, and text on each line, to a file beginning with the text, all tabs after the first expanded to spaces, padded with spaces out to column 72 (or truncated to column 72), and the leading digits placed starting at column 73, the command would be: RETURN VALUE
returns one of the following values: No errors encountered. An error occurred. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostics are fatal. was called with a bad option. There was no tab on one line. Self-explanatory. A line exceeds 512 characters after being expanded in the internal work buffer. A tab specification is incorrectly formatted, or specified tab stops are not ascending. A tabspec read from a file (or standard input) must not contain a tabspec referencing another file (or standard input). WARNINGS
normally only keeps track of physical characters; however, for the and options, keeps track of backspaces in order to line up tabs in the appropriate logical columns. does not prompt the user if a tabspec is to be read from the standard input (by use of or If the option is used, and the last option specified was and was preceded by either a or a the tab specification format line will be incor- rect. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), tabs(1), fspec(4). newform(1)