Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Net-SNMP v5.4 - sub-id not found in log, but can query with snmpget and snmpwalk Post 302269789 by Mariognarly on Thursday 18th of December 2008 05:33:56 PM
Old 12-18-2008
Net-SNMP v5.4 - sub-id not found in log, but can query with snmpget and snmpwalk

Hi everyone,

I'm configuring Net-SNMP v5.4 on Solaris 10, sending traps to OpenNMS 1.2.9-0.20061212.0. I'm setting up disk monitoring (% of space free) for 5 directories. Here's what I'm working with:

(snmpd.conf - disk and monitoring portions)
#
# Disk Usage monitoring:
#
disk / 20%
disk /tmp 20%
disk /usr 10%
disk /opt 10%
disk /var 10%

#
# Enable Active Monitoring
#
defaultMonitors yes

monitor -i -r 5 -o dskPath -o dskErrorMsg "dskTable" dskErrorFlag !=0

(snmpd.log once SNMP is restarted)
NET-SNMP version 5.4 restarted
send response: (Sub-id not found: (top) -> dskErrorFlag)
-- IF-MIB::ifNumber.0
send response:
-- SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0
send response:
send response:
-- SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0
send response:

-bash-3.00$ snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost dskErrorFlag
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.1 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.2 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.3 = INTEGER: 1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.4 = INTEGER: 0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.5 = INTEGER: 0
-bash-3.00$ snmpget -v 2c -c public localhost dskErrorFlag.1
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.1 = INTEGER: 0
-bash-3.00$ snmpget -v 2c -c public localhost dskErrorFlag.3
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskErrorFlag.3 = INTEGER: 1

So I have /opt dir at 94% tripping the flag as it should. I can query both dskErrorFlag, and dskErrorFlag.'x'.

However, when the SNMP agent tries to send dskErrorFlag to OpenNMS to generate a trap, it does not find the Sub-id. Hence the error in the log file.

Using:

snmpwalk -Dparse-mibs -v 2c -c public localhost system

to display where the MIB definitions are located, I can see it is looking in the correct directory.

Here is where I am stumped. I'm not sure what else to check, or how to fix this issue.

Any ideas?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

net-snmp

Does anybody know where I can get net-snmp for compaq tru64 V4.0G? I am having a difficult time locating it. Can it run on tru64 V4.0G? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. Solaris

net-snmp-5.1.2 Solaris 9

All, I downloaded and installed the following net-snmp from the sourceforge.net website on a Solaris 9 server with the entire collection installed: net-snmp-5.1.2-SunOS_5.9_sun4u.tar.gz with no errors. I attempt to run snmpget and I get the following error: ld.so.1: snmpget: fatal:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

snmpget/snmpwalk for dskPercent not working.

snmpwalk -v1 -c myname {ip address} dskPercent. Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. Failed object: UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskPercentNode snmpget -v1 -c myname {ip address} dskPercent.1 Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
0 Replies

4. Infrastructure Monitoring

HPUX net-SNMP interpreter "/bin/perl" not found

I am trying to install net-snmp on an HPUX box. I am getting the fallowing error message when I try to run the snmpconf file. I installed the fallowing version of net-snmp net-snmp-5.0.10.2-HP-UX_B.11.11_9000_800.tar and my HPUX box is version HP-UX commnms B.11.11 U 9000/800... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisarmstrong
2 Replies

5. AIX

NET-SNMP not responding to snmpwalk

We are using net-snmp on AIX 5.3 TL12 with CACTi for monitoring. Recently we are facing a problem. When we start net-snmp the snmpwalk to the localhost is working. But after a few minutes the snmpwalk gives a timeout to localhost. The snmp process is running. We recently upgraded the TL on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wibhore
1 Replies

6. AIX

snmp genError with snmpwalk

Hi Admins, I am new member here. I am using IAX 5.3 trying to configure snmpv3. Conf file /etc/snmpdv3.conf contents given below VACM_GROUP group1 SNMPv1 public - VACM_GROUP group1 SNMPv1 sbmviking - VACM_VIEW defaultView internet - included -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Net-snmp 5.7.2 on HP-UX 11.31

Hi All, I have an issue with net-snmp communication from a monitoring server to HP UX server. Following are the details HP - UX server : 172.16.184.34 Monitoring Server : 172.16.5.57 (Solarwinds Application)I'm running HP-UX's snmp on udp port 161 and net-snmp on udp 1161. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies
SNMPGET(1)							     Net-SNMP								SNMPGET(1)

NAME
snmpget - communicates with a network entity using SNMP GET requests SYNOPSIS
snmpget [COMMON OPTIONS] [-Cf] OID [OID]... DESCRIPTION
snmpget is an SNMP application that uses the SNMP GET request to query for information on a network entity. One or more object identifiers (OIDs) may be given as arguments on the command line. Each variable name is given in the format specified in variables(5). OPTIONS
-Cf If -Cf is not specified, some applications (snmpdelta, snmpget, snmpgetnext and snmpstatus) will try to fix errors returned by the agent that you were talking to and resend the request. The only time this is really useful is if you specified a OID that didn't exist in your request and you're using SNMPv1 which requires "all or nothing" kinds of requests. In addition to this option, snmpget REQUIRES options and agent arguments, as described in the snmpcmd(1) manual page. EXAMPLES
The command: snmpget -c public zeus system.sysDescr.0 will retrieve the variable system.sysDescr.0 from the host zeus using the community string public : system.sysDescr.0 = "SunOS zeus.net.cmu.edu 4.1.3_U1 1 sun4m" If the network entity has an error processing the request packet, an error packet will be returned and a message will be shown, helping to pinpoint in what way the request was malformed. If there were other variables in the request, the request will be resent without the bad variable. Here is another example. The -c and -v options are defined in the snmpcmd(1) manual page. (Note that system.sysUpTime is an incomplete OID, as it needs the .0 index appended to it): snmpget -v1 -Cf -c public localhost system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 This example will return the following: Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime Similarly, the command: snmpget -v1 -c public localhost system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 Will return: Error in packet Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB. This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime system.sysContact.0 = STRING: root@localhost With the -Cf flag specified the application will not try to fix the PDU for you. SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), snmpwalk(1), variables(5). 4th Berkeley Distribution 08 Feb 2002 SNMPGET(1)