Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change initramfs by hand?
Operating Systems Linux Debian change initramfs by hand? Post 302269559 by era on Thursday 18th of December 2008 03:55:19 AM
Old 12-18-2008
The \n") looks wrong but I also think it's relatively harmless. It will botch the "ro" argument so the kernel will not see it, but IIUC that's the only harm it does.

In fact, I think the tangent into Grub is wrong. I'd like to suggest you trace back a few steps and explain what exactly you are trying to accomplish. Have you looked at update-initramfs and the initramfs-tools? My understanding of these is limited, but it looks to me like it's what you should be using. But of course, if you know better, perhaps you could at least expand a bit on this topic.

(I was summoned here by otheus for some reason. I'm afraid I won't be able to follow this thread regularly.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a hand. Please?

i have a script in sh. with awk, e.g. want to list all the contents of a subdirectory an a tabular way. ej: outoput directory1 subdirectory1 subdirectory2 subdirectory3 file1 filen file2 filez file2 ... filen+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK how to strip from right hand side

guys, i am writing a .ksh file to ssh to a remote machine and change all occurances of .ixf to .WIP like this : -->>> for i in *.ixf do echo $i done mv $i $i.WIP exit <<--- --> this returns .ixf.WIP - i can live with that. then i need to sftp from another remote machine, copy the files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelolamberti
5 Replies

5. Linux

initramfs on 2.4 kernel

Is there a patch available to support initramfs on the 2.4 kernel? We can't upgrade to 2.6 for legacy purposes. All I found on google were early references to how initramfs is better than the 2.4 initrd. Thanks much! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoeba
0 Replies

6. Debian

Only have initramfs now...

Long story short, I had a ps3 with both Lenny and Sid repositories. Knowing this is a bad idea and that Lenny is being deprecated I decided I wanted to move everything to Sid. I changed my repos and ran apt-get-update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. Had one warning during the apt-get upgrade that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why bind to LiveCD /proc before building initramfs ?

Imagine I have an unbootable system where I need to update the kernel image using update-initramfs. I have seen numerous examples online which show the following $ mount -t proc none /mnt/ubuntu/proc $ mount -o bind /dev /mnt/ubuntu/dev $ mount -o bind /sys /mnt/ubuntu/sys After that we... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all, In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields. So to get around this, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
DRACUT.CONF(5)							      dracut							    DRACUT.CONF(5)

NAME
dracut.conf - configuration file(s) for dracut SYNOPSIS
/etc/dracut.conf /etc/dracut.conf.d/*.conf DESCRIPTION
dracut.conf is loaded during the initialisation phase of dracut. Command line parameter will overwrite any values set here. dracut.conf.d/*.conf files are read in alphanumerical order and will overwrite parameters set in /etc/dracut.conf. Each line specifies an attribute and a value. A # indicates the beginning of a comment; following characters, up to the end of the line are not interpreted. dracutmodules+=" <dracut modules> " Specify a space-separated list of dracut modules to call when building the initramfs. Modules are located in /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d. omit_dracutmodules+=" <dracut modules> " Omit a space-separated list of dracut modules. add_dracutmodules+=" <dracut modules> " Add a space-separated list of dracut modules. drivers+=" <kernel modules> " Specify a space-separated list of kernel modules to exclusively include in the initramfs. The kernel modules have to be specified without the ".ko" suffix. add_drivers+=" <kernel modules> " Specify a space-separated list of kernel modules to add to the initramfs. The kernel modules have to be specified without the ".ko" suffix. omit_drivers+=" <kernel modules> " Specify a space-separated list of kernel modules not to add to the initramfs. The kernel modules have to be specified without the ".ko" suffix. install_items+=" <kernel modules> " Specify a space-separated list of files, which are added to the initramfs image. filesystems+=" <filesystem names> " Specify a space-separated list of kernel filesystem modules to exclusively include in the generic initramfs. drivers_dir="<kernel modules directory>" Specify the directory, where to look for kernel modules fw_dir+=" :<dir>[:<dir> ...] " Specify additional directories, where to look for firmwares, separated by : install_items+=" <file>[ <file> ...] " Specify additional files to include in the initramfs, separated by spaces. do_strip="{yes|no}" Strip binaries in the initramfs (default=yes) hostonly="{yes|no}" Host-Only mode: Install only what is needed for booting the local host instead of a generic host and generate host-specific configuration. tmpdir="<temporary directory>" Specify temporary directory to use. Warning If chrooted to another root other than the real root device, use --fstab and provide a valid /etc/fstab. use_fstab="{yes|no}" Use /etc/fstab instead of /proc/self/mountinfo. add_fstab+=" <filename> " Add entries of <filename> to the initramfs /etc/fstab. mdadmconf="{yes|no}" Include local /etc/mdadm.conf (default=yes) lvmconf="{yes|no}" Include local /etc/lvm/lvm.conf (default=yes) fscks=" <fsck tools> " Add a space-separated list of fsck tools. If nothing is specified, the default is: "umount mount /sbin/fsck* xfs_db xfs_check xfs_repair e2fsck jfs_fsck reiserfsck btrfsck". The installation is opportunistic (non-existing tools are ignored). nofscks="{yes|no}" If specified, inhibit installation of any fsck tools. kernel_only="{yes|no}" Only install kernel drivers and firmware files. (default=no) no_kernel="{yes|no}" Do not install kernel drivers and firmware files (default=no) stdloglvl="{0-6}" Set logging to standard error level. sysloglvl="{0-6}" Set logging to syslog level. fileloglvl="{0-6}" Set logging to file level. logfile="<file>" Path to log file. show_modules="{yes|no}" Print included module's name to standard output during build. FILES
/etc/dracut.conf Old configuration file. You better use your own file in /etc/dracut/conf.d/. /etc/dracut/conf.d/ Any /etc/dracut/conf.d/*.conf file can overwrite the values in /etc/dracut.conf. The configuration files are read in alphanumerical order. AUTHOR
Harald Hoyer SEE ALSO
dracut(8) dracut.cmdline(7) dracut 11/08/2012 DRACUT.CONF(5)