Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu How can I automatically start a daemon at boot time. Post 302269555 by s93366 on Thursday 18th of December 2008 03:32:52 AM
Old 12-18-2008
a basic unix daemon does the following:

fork
close all filedescriptors (stdout,stderr, etc)
chdir /
signal handeling (sighup, sigterm etc)
while
do stuff
sleep(xx)
done

(example in C: daemon.c)

Red Hat example on how to install startup scripts:

to start a deamon at system startup in redhat you need a init script.
it should be placed in /etc/init.d

example of init script :

Code:
# chkconfig: 3 99 1
# description: my daemon

case "$1" in
'start')
/usr/local/bin/mydaemon
;;

'stop')
pkill mydaemon
;;

'restart')
pkill -HUP mydaemon
;;

esac

the first line will tell chkconfig to start the daemon in run level 3 with priority 99 and kill it as priority 1 when server shutdowns.

to install the startup script use the following: chkconfig --add ./scriptabove
Now it will start when the server boots.

to start it right away use: service <name_of_initfile> start

Hope this helps somewhat!

Last edited by s93366; 12-18-2008 at 04:38 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable routed daemon at boot time????

I'm new to UNIX.... I'm running SCO UNIX and would like to disable routed daemon from being start at boot time. How should I do this????? Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start a process at boot up time

Hi, I have a program that check the IP address and automatic update it to the DNS server. I would like to run this program when the computer bootup after pppd get a connection. How do I add it to the init file. Does any one have any information of how to do it. I run a Linux Mandrake as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Database can't start automatically on solaris

Hi, I have installed oracle 9i on solaris 10 sucessfully. I have configured listener & tnsname.ora file sucessfuly. Even i can start database manully by starting listener first and from sqlplus promt data base sucessfully. Now i want to start the database automatically after system reboots. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sachin Vaidya
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP UX start process at boot time

When I get start program at boot I read which run level /sbin/rcx.d runlevel=0.....x only read directory which directory name has UpperCase 'S' is not enough someone says that I need to reference another file which file I need to reference 1)/etc/rc.config.d/all file which parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

6. AIX

How to start rstatd Daemon

guy's How to start rstatd Daemon on AIX 6.1 as I enable it from etc/inetd.conf then I refreshed it by this command refresh -s inetd but stil is not Active ! can some one advice in this ! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I Start JBoss automatically when boot my linux machine.

I have created a script file named 'start-jboss' ------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/sh # For starting Jboss JAVA_HOME=/home/argole/jdk/jdk1.6.0_10 export JAVA_HOME cd /home/argole/server/jboss-4.2.0.GA/bin echo "Starting JBOSS server" nohup ./run.sh -c... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiraz
25 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

How do I Start postgre SQL automatically when boot my linux machine

Can any body give me the script to start postgre SQL 8.3.1 when boot linux? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiraz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start some services automatically

Hello All i have a question related to some services,i want to start some services with server linux centos. i make "chkconfig httpd on" and "chkconfig asterisk on",but when i verify with chkconfig --list i found httpd 0: off 1: off 2: on 3: on 4: on 5: on 6:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bernard12
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Can't start NTOP service/daemon

I have installed version of ntop 4.0.3 by guide. But I can't start ntop daemon/service. I didn't find a service file for starting. During the installation there was no problem only want to RRDTool so I installed that. Now there is no necessary package required. I didn't find in /etc/init.d/... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
9 Replies
cl_eventd(1M)						   System Administrator Commands					     cl_eventd(1M)

NAME
cl_eventd - Cluster event daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/cluster/lib/sc/cl_eventd [-v] DESCRIPTION
The cl_eventd daemon is started at boot time to monitor system events that are generated by other cluster components. This daemon also for- wards these events to other cluster nodes. Only the events of class EC_Cluster are forwarded to other cluster nodes. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -v Send additional troubleshooting and debugging information to syslogd(1M). FILES
/usr/cluster/lib/sc/cl_eventd Cluster event daemon ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
syseventd(1M), syslog(3C) NOTES
The cl_eventd daemon does not provide a publicly accessible interface. Sun Cluster 3.2 5 May 2006 cl_eventd(1M)