Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change initramfs by hand?
Operating Systems Linux Debian change initramfs by hand? Post 302268903 by frankie06 on Tuesday 16th of December 2008 02:00:12 PM
Old 12-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
Could you post your grub.conf file please?
Sure, but I don't think the grub.conf matters too much; it boots the original initrd just fine, and I don't modify any grub files when trying the new initrd.

BTW where is grub.conf? The only grub files I see are in /boot/grub, and the only human-readable ones are "default", "device.map" and "menu.lst". The first is empty except comments, the second only contains the lines

(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/sda

but seems to be unimportant as the unmodified initrd boots just the same when switching this to

(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/hda

and the third contains the usual kernel and initrd config, but it boots the unmodified initrd fine and I never modify it. Instead I change the link initrd.img in /boot to point to the modified initrd. There's still a grub entry using an initrd called initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686 which I never modify, and that always boots. Given that initrd.img-2.6.26-1-686 and the unmodified initrd.img are binary equal, the file menu.lst probably isn't the problem either.

Something else occured to me: do I need to specify the --format option in cpio? E.g. change from "bin" to "newc" format? Because when I look at the (gunzipped) initrd in boot with "file", it says:

"ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)".

But this is not the default which cpio creates.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a hand. Please?

i have a script in sh. with awk, e.g. want to list all the contents of a subdirectory an a tabular way. ej: outoput directory1 subdirectory1 subdirectory2 subdirectory3 file1 filen file2 filez file2 ... filen+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK how to strip from right hand side

guys, i am writing a .ksh file to ssh to a remote machine and change all occurances of .ixf to .WIP like this : -->>> for i in *.ixf do echo $i done mv $i $i.WIP exit <<--- --> this returns .ixf.WIP - i can live with that. then i need to sftp from another remote machine, copy the files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelolamberti
5 Replies

5. Linux

initramfs on 2.4 kernel

Is there a patch available to support initramfs on the 2.4 kernel? We can't upgrade to 2.6 for legacy purposes. All I found on google were early references to how initramfs is better than the 2.4 initrd. Thanks much! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoeba
0 Replies

6. Debian

Only have initramfs now...

Long story short, I had a ps3 with both Lenny and Sid repositories. Knowing this is a bad idea and that Lenny is being deprecated I decided I wanted to move everything to Sid. I changed my repos and ran apt-get-update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. Had one warning during the apt-get upgrade that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why bind to LiveCD /proc before building initramfs ?

Imagine I have an unbootable system where I need to update the kernel image using update-initramfs. I have seen numerous examples online which show the following $ mount -t proc none /mnt/ubuntu/proc $ mount -o bind /dev /mnt/ubuntu/dev $ mount -o bind /sys /mnt/ubuntu/sys After that we... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all, In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields. So to get around this, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
UPDATE-INITRAMFS.CONF(5)				   update-initramfs.conf manual 				  UPDATE-INITRAMFS.CONF(5)

NAME
update-initramfs.conf - configuration file for update-initramfs DESCRIPTION
The configuration file allows one to disable the update action from update-initramfs. GENERAL VARIABLES
update_initramfs Default is yes for running the latest initramfs-tools hooks in the newest Linux image. Setting it to all updates any known initramfs. It is possible to set it to no for remote servers or boxes where conservative manners needs to be applied. This disables the update_initramfs -u call. backup_initramfs If set update_initramfs keeps an .bak file of the previous initramfs. If unset the backup initramfs will not be kept. FILES
/etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf AUTHOR
The initramfs-tools are written by Maximilian Attems <maks@debian.org>, Jeff Bailey <jbailey@raspberryginger.com> and numerous others. SEE ALSO
initramfs.conf(5), initramfs-tools(8), mkinitramfs(8), update-initramfs(8). Linux 2010/04/05 UPDATE-INITRAMFS.CONF(5)