Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers return code capturing for all commands connected by "|" ... Post 302268048 by new_learner on Monday 15th of December 2008 12:40:43 AM
Old 12-15-2008
Question return code capturing for all commands connected by "|" ...

Hi,

While I am using "|" to join multiple commands, I am not getting the return code when there is error in one of the commnads.

Eg:

b=`find /path/a*.out | xargs basename`

if [ $? != 0 ]; then
echo "Error"
fi

if there is error while finding the file or getting the basename, the $? is having zero value. But I require to know any error in that line of code.

Can any one tell me how to capture error in all the commands that are connected by "|" and make sure every one succeeded before proceeding further.

Thanks and Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code is "0" though the command fails.

The return code is "0" though the command fails. How to get a return code of "1" for this command when it fails or modify the command to get the right return code? On HP UNIX #-------- SCRIPT ---- #!/bin/ksh find /opt/oracle/oroem/product/10.2.0.4/rdbms/audit/ \( -name "*.aud" \) -mtime +1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbekal
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command 'rm -f -r "0yfOYy-0008Nq-2j-32233-K"' failed with return code 1 and error mes

I would like to know what means this error and how to fix it Command 'rm -f -r "0yfOYy-0008Nq-2j-32233-K"' failed with return code 1 and error message Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxbee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of times a user is "connected"?

hi i wish make a shell to look for the number of times a user is connected then makes a "whatch dog" by crontab to handle this i could do it through ps-fedal| grep user_name | wc-l ... etc. but others suggested me another algorithm :mad: and thought to use w, or finger, or who but it have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgar287
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Relation btw commands, "man" and "more" ???

Hi guys, Hope u r doing find. I have this query. When we check the manual pages for a certain command, say man cat we see the manual page with more What is UNIX really doing here, I mean why not less command instead of more command. And can we have UNIX display the manual pages with less command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

9. Solaris

How to execute a ".profile" depending on the server from where the user is connected.

Hello, I have two Solaris servers on a cluster. I have created the same user "X"on the two nodes (same UID and same GID). The file ".profile" of this user "X" is located in a filesystem that is seen by the two nodes. Each server should have a ".profile" of this user different of the other... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies
term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)					 Terminal control					 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::ansi::ctrl::unix - Control operations and queries SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::ctrl::unix ?0.1? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
WARNING: This package is unix-specific and depends on the availability of two unix system commands for terminal control, i.e. stty and tput, both of which have to be found in the $PATH. If any of these two commands is missing the loading of the package will fail. The package provides commands to switch the standard input of the current process between raw and cooked input modes, and to query the size of terminals, i.e. the available number of columns and lines. API
INTROSPECTION ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::import ?ns? ?arg...? This command imports some or all attribute commands into the namespace ns. This is by default the namespace ctrl. Note that this is relative namespace name, placing the imported command into a child of the current namespace. By default all commands are imported, this can howver be restricted by listing the names of the wanted commands after the namespace argument. OPERATIONS ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to raw input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are immediately reported to the application instead of waiting in the OS buffer until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::raw This command switches the standard input of the current process to cooked input mode. This means that from then on all characters typed by the user are kept in OS buffers for editing until the Enter/Return key is received. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::columns This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of columns available for display. ::term::ansi::ctrl::unix::rows This command queries the terminal connected to the standard input for the number of rows (aka lines) available for display. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
ansi, columns, control, cooked, input mode, lines, raw, rows, terminal CATEGORY
Terminal control COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::ansi::ctrl::unix(n)