Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar: how to preserve atime? (also on extracted version, not just original) Post 302267997 by frank_rizzo on Sunday 14th of December 2008 09:47:23 PM
Old 12-14-2008
use the -p option when you extract it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Original BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11)

Just dusted off an old version of the Byte UNIX Benchmarks from our old benchmark days at http://linux.silkroad.com/ and ran them against www.unix.com: ============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- Linux www 2.4.20 #2 Mon... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell what version of tar I have?

I know this should be easy, but Google is not turning up any results: How can I find out what version of software (like tar and gzip) I have installed on my Sun box? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about UNIX? original version?

sorry for my English We'll report about Unix in my school, for Operating Systems subject... with Installation demo.... I'm wondering if System V, which is from original developers AT&T still exist and downloadable? because I cant find it anywhere... then i found out that Solaris, MacOS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slowchem
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP tar version

Guys, I need to know what version of tar i am using in our HP B11.11 box (model = 9000/800/rp8420 ). We have created a tar file and i wanted to know if the tar version i used supported 8GB-sized files (Check sanity of the archived file). As you know old version of tar is limited to files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

preserve guid:uid tar / cp

hello, i've a backup of a xen image which was tar'ed. i extracted the tarfile with --preserve and moved it to the lvm partition useing cp -p to preserve the ownership informations of the files in this step too. but unfortunatly after extracting the archive some uid and guids which are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coffeecup
5 Replies

7. AIX

tar version

Hi How to find the version of tar installed in my aix box ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete original files after using a tar operation.

I have a list of log files in a directory. Once i tar them I need to remove the original log files. How do i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print duplicate row along with highest version of original

There are some duplicate field on description column .I want to print duplicate row along with highest version of number and corresponding description column. file1.txt number Description === ============ 34567 nl21a00is-centerdb001:ncdbareq:Error in loading init 34577 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_rajni
7 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - The GNU version of the tar archiving utility SYNOPSIS
tar [ - ] A --catenate --concatenate | c --create | d --diff --compare | r --append | t --list | u --update | x -extract --get [ --atime- preserve ] [ -b, --block-size N ] [ -B, --read-full-blocks ] [ -C, --directory DIR ] [ --checkpoint ] [ -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F ] [ --force-local ] [ -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F ] [ -G, --incremental ] [ -g, --listed-incremental F ] [ -h, --dereference ] [ -i, --ignore-zeros ] [ -j, -I, --bzip ] [ --ignore-failed-read ] [ -k, --keep-old-files ] [ -K, --starting-file F ] [ -l, --one-file-sys- tem ] [ -L, --tape-length N ] [ -m, --modification-time ] [ -M, --multi-volume ] [ -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE ] [ -o, --old-ar- chive, --portability ] [ -O, --to-stdout ] [ -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions ] [ -P, --absolute-paths ] [ --preserve ] [ -R, --record-number ] [ --remove-files ] [ -s, --same-order, --preserve-order ] [ --same-owner ] [ -S, --sparse ] [ -T, --files-from=F ] [ --null ] [ --totals ] [ -v, --verbose ] [ -V, --label NAME ] [ --version ] [ -w, --interactive, --confirmation ] [ -W, --verify ] [ --exclude FILE ] [ -X, --exclude-from FILE ] [ -Z, --compress, --uncompress ] [ -z, --gzip, --ungzip ] [ --use-compress-program PROG ] [ --block-compress ] [ -[0-7][lmh] ] filename1 [ filename2, ... filenameN ] directory1 [ directory2, ...directoryN ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of tar , an archiving program designed to store and extract files from an archive file known as a tarfile. A tarfile may be made on a tape drive, however, it is also common to write a tarfile to a normal file. The first argument to tar must be one of the options: Acdrtux, followed by any optional functions. The final arguments to tar are the names of the files or directories which should be archived. The use of a directory name always implies that the subdirectories below should be included in the archive. FUNCTION LETTERS
One of the following options must be used: -A, --catenate, --concatenate append tar files to an archive -c, --create create a new archive -d, --diff, --compare find differences between archive and file system --delete delete from the archive (not for use on mag tapes!) -r, --append append files to the end of an archive -t, --list list the contents of an archive -u, --update only append files that are newer than copy in archive -x, --extract, --get extract files from an archive OTHER OPTIONS
--atime-preserve don't change access times on dumped files -b, --block-size N block size of Nx512 bytes (default N=20) -B, --read-full-blocks reblock as we read (for reading 4.2BSD pipes) -C, --directory DIR change to directory DIR --checkpoint print directory names while reading the archive -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F use archive file or device F (default /dev/rmt0) --force-local archive file is local even if has a colon -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F run script at end of each tape (implies -M) -G, --incremental create/list/extract old GNU-format incremental backup -g, --listed-incremental F create/list/extract new GNU-format incremental backup -h, --dereference don't dump symlinks; dump the files they point to -i, --ignore-zeros ignore blocks of zeros in archive (normally mean EOF) -j, -I, --bzip filter the archive through bzip2. Note: -I is deprecated and may get a different meaning in the near future. --ignore-failed-read don't exit with non-zero status on unreadable files -k, --keep-old-files keep existing files; don't overwrite them from archive -K, --starting-file F begin at file F in the archive -l, --one-file-system stay in local file system when creating an archive -L, --tape-length N change tapes after writing N*1024 bytes -m, --modification-time don't extract file modified time -M, --multi-volume create/list/extract multi-volume archive -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE only store files newer than DATE -o, --old-archive, --portability write a V7 format archive, rather than ANSI format -O, --to-stdout extract files to standard output -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions extract all protection information -P, --absolute-paths don't strip leading `/'s from file names --preserve like -p -s -R, --record-number show record number within archive with each message --remove-files remove files after adding them to the archive -s, --same-order, --preserve-order list of names to extract is sorted to match archive --same-owner create extracted files with the same ownership -S, --sparse handle sparse files efficiently -T, --files-from=F get names to extract or create from file F --null -T reads null-terminated names, disable -C --totals print total bytes written with --create -v, --verbose verbosely list files processed -V, --label NAME create archive with volume name NAME --version print tar program version number -w, --interactive, --confirmation ask for confirmation for every action -W, --verify attempt to verify the archive after writing it --exclude FILE exclude file FILE -X, --exclude-from FILE exclude files listed in FILE -Z, --compress, --uncompress filter the archive through compress -z, --gzip, --ungzip filter the archive through gzip --use-compress-program PROG filter the archive through PROG (which must accept -d) 30 October 2000 TAR(1)