Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers calling all IRIX admins/users, help! Post 302267510 by shaun138 on Friday 12th of December 2008 02:05:09 PM
Old 12-12-2008
Error calling all IRIX admins/users, help!

i have a EEPROM issue

i believe on a SGI IRIX system its located @ /sbin/sulogin

but how do you access that file? everytime i've "more" or "cat" the file it closes the terminal window for somereason.

i'm trying to see if its security mode is set to full/command

thanks for all advice and guidance! Smilie

ive googled the heck out of it n haven't found much for IRIX Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with IRIX

I have a SGI sys with Irix running on it. Actually i cant see the console login . It just shows a blank blue screen . I can use the mouse though. Also i can remote login into the m/c I am new to SGI . Can anybody help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jai
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Irix

I have an SGI running IRIX 6.5 The prob is when i login as user and open a file , it gives me error as "OUT OF MEMORY" when i su or login as root . THis error disappers I have lot of space in the System . Thanx DPai (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I am looking for a link in IRIX 5.3

I am using IRIX 5.3, When I type "man" in a UNIX text console from any machine on my network, I want to pull out the man pages from the station where they have been installed. Would anyone know the link? I would be so greatfull. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trixee
1 Replies

4. Programming

Irix 5.3

I am using IRIX 5.3, When I type "man" in a UNIX text console from any machine on my network, I want to pull out the man pages from the station where they have been installed. Would anyone know the link? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trixee
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk Drive for Irix

I am looking for a Disk Drive for SGI Octane with Irix 6.4 . I was just hoping if someone out there can give me the vendor and part number ... Need a 9GB hopefully. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Internet in IRIX

I've got an O2 (R5000 32-bit) running IRIX 6.3. The problem is that my ISP requires me to have a DHCP client and I do not know how to enable it. I've tried via-wizard, but, only have the chance to enable a Static IP address. Does anybody know or can explain me how to enable it manually? :mad: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gastondoval
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PASSLENGTH on Irix

My first post here, and hopefully it will be one of many to come. I am currently running multiple SGI's with different versions of Irix. I have a problem setting the minimum password length for users. I have modified the /etc/default/passwd so that PASSLENGTH = 8 However, it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herrmag
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IRIX 6.5 newbie

I have had the great fortune to get an sgi octane for free! :D I have managed to get me an OS(IRIX 6.5.19f) but I have some questions that I hope are not too simple to the gurus out there. Before I ask, I build macs and PC's and have had some experience hacking osx into old beige macs, and pcs,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gheem
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba for IRIX 6.5.26

I am not new to unix as a user, but new in setting up a workstation/server. I need to connect to my PC network to share files. I have heard Samba is a good tool, but they do not have a compiled version to download for IRIX. Can someone help me out? Thanks, Orrbit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orrbit
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MTU setting for IRIX

Couldn't find an IRIX forum, so I'm posting to this one... Just had our SAs rebuild an IRIX machine and now I need to set the MTU to 1344 (vice 1500 default). I can set it manually using the ifconfig command, but it won't survive a reboot. I made an entry into the /etc/init.d/ifconfig-1.options... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottwevans
0 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [ -e ] [ -p ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ TTY ] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init(8) when the system goes into single user mode. (This is done through an entry in inittab(5).) Init also tries to execute sulogin when the boot loader (e.g., grub(8)) passes it the -b option. The user is prompted Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup): If the root account is locked, no password prompt is displayed and sulogin behaves as if the correct password were entered. sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/con- sole). If the -t option is used then the program only waits the given number of seconds for user input. If the -p option is used then the single-user shell is invoked with a dash as the first character in argv[0]. This causes the shell process to behave as a login shell. The default is not to do this, so that the shell will not read /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile at startup. After the user exits the single-user shell, or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will (continue to) boot to the default runlevel. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. This is very valuable together with the -b option to init. To boot the system into single user mode, with the root file system mounted read/write, using a special "fail safe" shell that is statically linked (this example is valid for the LILO bootprompt) boot: linux -b rw sushell=/sbin/sash FALLBACK METHODS
sulogin checks the root password using the standard method (getpwnam) first. Then, if the -e option was specified, sulogin examines these files directly to find the root password: /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (if present) If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). 17 Jan 2006 SULOGIN(8)