Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ftp access denied
Operating Systems Solaris Ftp access denied Post 302267172 by Tornado on Thursday 11th of December 2008 06:55:59 PM
Old 12-11-2008
You should use a valid unix account to connect..
To setup an anonymous ftp server requires a bit more work then just starting the ftp service.

FYI
Code:
     in.ftpd  authenticates  users  according  to  the  following
     rules:

First, the user name must be in the password data base,  the
     location  of  which  is  specified  in  nsswitch.conf(4). An
     encrypted password (an authentication token in PAM) must  be
     present.  A  password  must always be provided by the client
     before any  file  operations  can  be  performed.  For  non-
     anonymous  users,  the  PAM framework is used to verify that
     the correct password was entered. See SECURITY below.

Second,  the  user  name  must  not  appear  in  either  the
     /etc/ftpusers  or  the  /etc/ftpd/ftpusers  file. Use of the
     /etc/ftpusers files is deprecated, although it is still sup-
     ported.

Third, the users must have  a  standard  shell  returned  by
     getusershell(3C).

Fourth, if the user name is anonymous or ftp,  an  anonymous
     ftp  account  must  be present in the password file for user
     ftp. Use ftpconfig(1M) to create the anonymous  ftp  account
     and home directory tree.

Fifth, if the GSS-API is used to authenticate the user, then
     gss_auth_rules(5)  determines user access without a password
     needed.

The FTP Server supports virtual hosting, which can  be  con-
     figured by using ftpaddhost(1M).

The FTP Server does not support sublogins.

Last edited by pupp; 12-13-2008 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: merging posts
Tornado

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

New RH User - Access Denied

Hi, We were just recently given a new VM instance with Red Hat linux. The only user account that can log in successfully is the root account. I made sure that the user z021407 has access to their directory and the account can read the home directory, but I can't log in with the new account... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
2 Replies

2. SuSE

"scp" access denied:/etc/security/access.conf

Guys i have 2 SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1 (i586) boxes.if i take a look into /etc/security/access.conf ,i see following lines at the eof # All other users should be denied to get access from all sources. #- : ALL : ALL - : myID : ALL now earlier i had written scripts where files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ak835
1 Replies

3. Solaris

root access denied

Hi, I have installed solaris 10 on my local system. i want to connect with remotely using putty. it works when i connect remotely with telnet. but when i connect using ssh. it gives access denied error. i have comment the CONSOLE=/dev/console in /etc/default/login but it still don't work Plz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
4 Replies

4. Programming

Access denied for user at localhost

Hi guys. We can can connect to mysql server from command line with some user. but when using mysql_connect() it says: access is denied for user 'someuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES) what should i do? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

5. AIX

Why access to the servers is denied?

There is one aix server, IP is 152.240.28.14, the user IP is 152.240.88.64, The user is able to get access briefly then all access is denied from the whole subnet 152.240.88.0. a short while later access is granted and the same thing happens all over again. The customer is able to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Adduser -> Access denied

hi, I have a problem with any user i created on a linux server RH. With the user root i did: adduser toto passwd toto (to give it a password - message : "all authentication tokens updated successfully") I can do a "su - toto", but when I try to connect it directly by ssh i have the message... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
3 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

seteuid access denied - openSSH installation

Hi, I have installed openssh in one of my windows servers following SUA community guidelines. I can successfully install and generate RSA DSA keys. But I cannot SSH to server from my Solaris machine. Below is the output from ssh -v <server>. Also I tried to SSH from the K-shell to localhost... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkk
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Access Denied

Hi All, I have a root access for one of the server. But, when i try to cd one particular directory i will get the access denied message. Even though that particular directory is created under root. What would be the cause for this? I really wonder if any one have answer for my... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sricharan21
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access Denied

I login to a server and get a Access Denied Prompt but I clearly lets me into the prompt with Putty. I do a sudo -s enter my password tells me Access Denied but I am clearly now Root Just wondering why this is so? what is misconfigured? I mean its not prohibiting me from anything, this is more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

X-Server access is denied on host

The situation is: I have a RHEL 7.3 VM that I am able to access via both ssh and VM console. I am able to run all of the standard commands for verifying that X11 forwarding/xhost permissions are working (xclock, nautilus, firefox, etc.) i can also run the runInstaller for Oracle client, No problems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melghaze
1 Replies
NETRC(5)                                                      BSD File Formats Manual                                                     NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)