Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting display all possible control characters from .xml file in unix Post 302266042 by methyl on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 08:50:47 AM
Old 12-09-2008
0x96 is decimal 150. In US ASCII this is the accented character û (u circumflex).

You can use "cat -v" to display unprintable characters. See "man cat" to understand the representation of 8-bit characters.

cat -v filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Identifying and removing control characters in a file.

What is the best method to identify an remove control characters in a file. Would it be easier to do this in Unix or in C. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix file does not display special characters

We have a unix file that contains special characters (ie. Ñ, °, É, ¿ , £ , ø ). When I try to read this file I get a codepage error and the characters are replaced by the # symbol. How do I keep the special characters from being read? Thanks. Ryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to display the ascii characters in java using unix OS

The below code is not able to converting the Hexa decimal characters into Ascii characers in Unix. byte bytes = newbyte; for(int i=0;i<bytes.length;i++){ bytes = (byte)Integer.parseInt(hex.substring(2*i, 2*i+2),16); } String multi = new String(bytes); System.out.println(" multi value from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivaspeyyala
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XML file shows Junk Characters in UNIX

Hello sir, I have generated XML file from VS 2005. It works well in windows but it shows some junk characters in unix. Can any help me with this problem. Thank you in advance. Hema (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemavenkatesh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for advise on how to remove control characters in a UNIX file extracted from top command

Hi, Please excuse for posting new thread on control characters, I am facing some difficulties in removing the control character from a file extracted from top command, i am able to see control characters using more command and in vi mode, through cat control characters are not visible ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to view the control characters in a file?

Hello, How can I view control and special characters of a text file?. For example, space, tabs, new line chars etc. Can I use hexdump for it? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Special control characters in file

Hi Guys, We receive some huge files on to Linux server. Source system use FTP mechanism to transfer these files on our server. Occasionally one record is getting corrupted while transfer, some control characters are injecting into the file. How to fix this issue ? please advice ? Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip control-A characters from a column in a file

Hi All, I currently have flat file with 32 columns. The field delimiter is cntl-A ( \x01). The file has been extracted from an oracle table using a datastage job. However, in the 6th field, the data contains additional control -A characters which came as a part of the table data. I need... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
12 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)